Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Sven Mathijssen <s....@student.utwente.nl> on 2007/09/18 15:41:56 UTC

Storage engine modifications

Hi all,

First of all, I'm new to the mailinglist, apologies in advance ;)

At the moment, I am looking into Derby for completing an academic
research project at my university. The project might involve several
modifications to the storage engine (raw and access) to help me
accomplish the goal. I am actually looking for someone or something
to help me out with the internals of the data storage engine of
Derby. I cannot give all the details of the project right now, but if
you are interested in giving me some information about the storage
engine in Derby, please contact me personally and I will let you know
what the modifications are about. I need to pinpoint the place where
the modifications need to be implemented.

I already found an introductory help file [1] telling me more about
the internal structure of pages, containers, records and so on. This
IS helpful but I need to know more of what happens when someone
inserts a tuple, deletes a tuple etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,,
Sven Mathijssen
University of Twente, the Netherlands

[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/pageformats.html

Re: Storage engine modifications

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> helpful but I need to know more of what happens when someone inserts a
> tuple, deletes a tuple etc.

The wonderful thing about open source is that, for questions like these,
you can simply set up a test, set a breakpoint in your debugger, and
step through the Derby source code.

The Derby code has been very carefully written and there are clear
comments in the code to help explain the tricky parts.

As you read the code and step through it, feel free to post specific
questions to the list, and I'm sure the various members of the list will
be glad to respond.

thanks,

bryan