Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com> on 2003/04/25 08:08:45 UTC

Tomcat can't see jars

PROBLEM: TOMCAT DOESN'T SEE JARS
PARTIAL SOLUTION: INCLUDING EVERY JAR IN THE SYSTEM IN THE CLASSPATH

fine on 4.1.24, Tomcat will not run and doesn't appear to see the jar files.
ANY of the jar files.

The long version:

Ok, I've been fighting this problem all afternoon and into the night, and I've
got to wonder, how many people have just s***-canned Tomcat after attempting to
upgrade?  I tried to update my installation from 4.1.24 to 5.0 alpha in the
hopes that some of the problems I've had with the Logger would clear up.

Man, do I ever regret doing that.

After what seemed like a smooth install, following all the directions, the
server wouldn't start up.  I went over the environment variables again and again:

JAVA_HOME set, using jdk 1.4.1
CATALINA_HOME set to the Tomcat directory
TOMCAT_HOME set the same
CLASSPATH set to %JAVA_HOME%\lib;%CATALINA_HOME%\server\lib\catalina.jar;

Which would seem inconsequential, since 4.1.24 had been running flawlessly for
some time.  But when I started up Tomcat 5.0, the window would flash and
disappear.  After two hours wasted on trying to get it to work, I decided to
roll it back and forget it for now.  See, I'd renamed the old directory, so one
could safely assume that putting the old version back would be as simple as
renaming it back to Jakarta, right?

Huh uh.

The old version is now doing the same thing as the new version.  What the -?

I spent some time figuring out how to run Tomcat from a command line so I could
see what the problem was.  Turns out, it can't see the jar files.  None of them.
  I still don't have it running, but the solution seems to be to put a reference
to every single jar file in the system in the classpath.  It didn't require this
before, so what changed?  AND WHY?!

So has anyone seen this?

Your help is much appreciated!

TG

Re: Tomcat can't see jars

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Todd Grigsby wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:01:07 -0700
> From: Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>
> Subject: Re: Tomcat can't see jars
>

> Thanks Craig for at least offering the tidbit that Tomcat's classpath shouldn't
> be mucked with.  I agree, but it was the only way I could get Tomcat back up and
> running.  And it does -- but doesn't see any applications.  I get a 500 on every
> app, including admin.

Then that means there is something wrong with your installation, or you're
suffering from the fact that Tomcat 5.0 is alpha quality code, or you've
got a corrupted installation (Tomcat 5 works for me).

Craig

Re: Tomcat can't see jars

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: Tomcat can't see jars