Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/05/12 14:39:46 UTC

Re: Cocoon 1.7.3 not recompiling changes in XSP

svenk@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a form <-> xml solution based on Donald's XMLForm
> servlet.

Me too, as you know. My app is done, but there is one problem remaining
and that is the Xerces serializer that XMLForm uses to write the edited
file back to the disk. When you have multi-line values, then it adds a
blank line after each return character. So, if you have in your edit
window a textarea with this content:

foo
bar
baz

It becomes in the file:

foo

bar

baz

This is extremely annoying, but short of hacking Xerces I don't know how
to resolve this.

> Now, I did some changes on the file and reloaded it in Netscape in order
> to test it.
> But the change would not take effect.

All you have to do is delete the contents of the repository directory
and restart cocoon (by restarting the servlet engine, for example), then
you can be 100% sure that neither on disk nor in memory is there any old
stuff.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Cocoon 1.7.3 not recompiling changes in XSP

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> > This is extremely annoying, but short of hacking Xerces I don't know how
> > to resolve this.
>
> Ah! Is _that_ why that was happening? I had wondered but never got around
> to messing with it. Maybe turning off preserve space would help? You also
> might try writing Assaf Arkin directly. He's a nice guy.

No, I tried various settings concerning preserve space, indenting,
output method and others. I'll try to locate this Assaf Arkin guy.

Ulrich

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Fri, 12 May 2000, Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> svenk@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a form <-> xml solution based on Donald's XMLForm
> > servlet.
>
> Me too, as you know. My app is done, but there is one problem remaining
> and that is the Xerces serializer that XMLForm uses to write the edited
> file back to the disk. When you have multi-line values, then it adds a
> blank line after each return character. So, if you have in your edit
> window a textarea with this content:
>
> foo
> bar
> baz
>
> It becomes in the file:
>
> foo
>
> bar
>
> baz
>
> This is extremely annoying, but short of hacking Xerces I don't know how
> to resolve this.

Ah! Is _that_ why that was happening? I had wondered but never got around
to messing with it. Maybe turning off preserve space would help? You also
might try writing Assaf Arkin directly. He's a nice guy.

- donald