Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2001/11/25 22:37:33 UTC

[modperl-site design challenge] Thomas Klausner (domm)

Hi!

You can look at my idea of the the new modperl-site design here:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/

You can get the whole distro to download at:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/modperl-site-domm.src.tgz
or just the output at:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/modperl-site-domm.dst.tgz

Some Notes:

* The first page ("Home") successfully validates at w3.org (HTML and CSS).

* While the design might not be to cool from the designers point of view, I
like it because it is simple, doesn't use HTML-tables, is small and fast
(/very/ little HTML-overhead) and accessible to disabled people.

* The colours could be changed very easily, as they are only defined in
default.css

* I tested it with Mozilla, Opera and Lynx on Linux; Netscape 4.something
and IE 6.0 on WinME;
It worked very well on everything exept Netscape (because Netscpae 4's CSS
handling is absolutly horrible!), but it was still usable on Netscape 4 (and
looked OK with CSS turned off).

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: [modperl-site design challenge]

Posted by tom poe <to...@renonevada.net>.
On Monday 26 November 2001 10:07, Bill Moseley wrote:
---snip---
> Does it need to render well in old browsers?  (e.g. netscape 4.08)
>
> There's a lot of old browsers out there, but maybe anyone looking at
> mod_perl would be a bit more up to date...
>

> Bill Moseley
> mailto:moseley@hank.org

Hi:  Think Accessibility!  You really should be setting this up for global
accessibility and for those with disabilities!    Standards begin here, don't
you think?   Just a thought,  Tom

Re: [modperl-site design challenge]

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.

Re: [modperl-site design challenge] Thomas Klausner (domm)

Posted by mathias <ma...@jpg.no>.
on 26.11.01 17:14, John Saylor at johns@worldwinner.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> ( 01.11.25 22:37 +0100 ) Thomas Klausner:
>> You can look at my idea of the the new modperl-site design here:
>> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/

Nice work!

Is it all right to talk details?

In my opinion something like:
.content {
        line-height: 130%;
}
... can improve readability quite a lot.

mathias

Re: [modperl-site design challenge] Thomas Klausner (domm)

Posted by John Saylor <jo...@worldwinner.com>.
Hi

( 01.11.25 22:37 +0100 ) Thomas Klausner:
> You can look at my idea of the the new modperl-site design here:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/

I like it. The main part of it is now just an elaboration of the
contents, I imagine this will be a changing teaser of some sort.

> * While the design might not be to cool from the designers point of view, I
> like it because it is simple, doesn't use HTML-tables, is small and fast
> (/very/ little HTML-overhead) and accessible to disabled people.

But that *is* cool. I think it's very well designed. To me, usability is
the main design goal.  Keep up the good work!

--
\js

Re: [modperl-site design challenge] Thomas Klausner (domm)

Posted by Jean-Michel Hiver <jh...@mkdoc.com>.
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:36:07AM +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> > > * The first page ("Home") successfully validates at w3.org (HTML and CSS).
> > That's very good. Do the others validate as well (or at least, do you see any
> > reason why they wouldn't ?) ?
> On some of the deeper pages, Pod::POM generates HTML like this:
>  <ul>
>      text
>  </ul>
>
> This isn't valid HTML (according to W3C), so those pages won't validate
> successfully.
> e.g:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/download/binaries.html

Maybe you should use HTML tidy to automagically fix broken HTML?
Another thing is that accessibility guidelines recommend using XHTML
1.1, since your HTML looks pretty clean and simple you might want to do
that instead of using old HTML 3.2.

Cheers,
--
== \______ =====================================================
   /\____/\  IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB

Re: [modperl-site design challenge] Thomas Klausner (domm)

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:36:07AM +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> > * The first page ("Home") successfully validates at w3.org (HTML and CSS).
> That's very good. Do the others validate as well (or at least, do you see any
> reason why they wouldn't ?) ?
On some of the deeper pages, Pod::POM generates HTML like this:
 <ul>
     text
 </ul>

This isn't valid HTML (according to W3C), so those pages won't validate
successfully.
e.g:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/download/binaries.html

Another problem Stas pointed out is with pages containing preformatted text
(<pre> Tags), e.g. here:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/docs/devel/writing_tests/writing_tests.html
If somebody knows a nice solution to this problem (<pre>-text flowing out of
the containing box), please drop me a note!

> > It worked very well on everything exept Netscape (because Netscpae 4's CSS
> > handling is absolutly horrible!), but it was still usable on Netscape 4
> > (and looked OK with CSS turned off).
> Netscape 4 isn't a web browser ... Everyone knows it's the
> only piece of software ever concieved that makes Windows 95 look bug free in
> comparison.
:-)

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
On Sunday 25 November 2001 22:37, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/

Simple, nice, and cool (imho), thanks for submitting !

> * The first page ("Home") successfully validates at w3.org (HTML and CSS).

That's very good. Do the others validate as well (or at least, do you see any
reason why they wouldn't ?) ?

> * While the design might not be to cool from the designers point of view, I
> like it because it is simple, doesn't use HTML-tables, is small and fast
> (/very/ little HTML-overhead) and accessible to disabled people.

That's imho fine. Until someone decides to become a marketing geek and
creates content for PHB-oriented sections, all we need is to look clean
enough, I don't think we need to look hypeful (if I may use such a word ;-).

> * I tested it with Mozilla, Opera and Lynx on Linux; Netscape 4.something
> and IE 6.0 on WinME;

It works well in Konqueror 2.1 as well, except for the about page that seems
to have a problem with CSS positioning (if you can't trace the problem down,
contact me in personal mail and I'll try to see if it does indeed come from
your code).

> It worked very well on everything exept Netscape (because Netscpae 4's CSS
> handling is absolutly horrible!), but it was still usable on Netscape 4
> (and looked OK with CSS turned off).

Netscape 4 isn't a web browser. This isn't a commercial site, and imho as
long as it degrades well to N4 (ie is usable) then I think we can ignore
cosmetic problems that may occur there. I don't think anyone even remotely
knowledgeable about the web still uses that thing. Everyone knows it's the
only piece of software ever concieved that makes Windows 95 look bug free in
comparison.

Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy
to criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.