Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luc Foisy <Lu...@technical-magic.com> on 2004/01/28 21:39:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Uninstalling an apache rpm

I want to uninstall the below rpm so I can install apache source.

rpm -e apache-1.3.12-25
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        apache = 1.3.12-25 is needed by mod_ssl-2.6.6-25
        webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.24-4

Are these other packages needed by anything else?

If I install from the apached source (2.0.48) are these dependant packages contents included?

Re: [users@httpd] Uninstalling an apache rpm

Posted by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com>.
Marty Landman wrote:
>> There are only two dependencies, for finagle's sake.
>

> I had half a doz or so when I tried. Now I've reinstalled rh9 using the
> custom option, and wouldn't ya know it put httpd out there anyway!

Yeah, rh9 installs apache2 (package name is 'httpd'), so there are many more
'included' items, for example httpd-manual, redhat-config-httpd, etc.  The
original poster must have been running an older version of redhat as evidenced
by his apache-1.3.12-25 RPMs:

Luc Foisy wrote:
 > I want to uninstall the below rpm so I can install apache source.
 >
 > rpm -e apache-1.3.12-25

> BTW Josh, aren't there likely to be dependencies of the dependencies,
> and etc..? Why is this such a hard thing to do?

Well, there may be other dependencies.  rpm will tell you about them (just as it
did the first time) if there are any.

Why is it so complicated?  This is a good question, but I think it may be
because sometimes one package has many dependencies, and the more dependencies a
package has, the deeper the erase procedure must go to remove them all.  And if
it goes too deep, boom no more system (all packages removed!).

Let's pick an extreme example, let's say you want to remove glibc:
rpm -e glibc
On a RedHat 9 system, you'll get about 4200 packages that depend on glibc,
including KDE, Gnome, well pretty much everything.  What if rpm went on to
automatically erase those packages?  And any they depend on?  Well you'd be in
trouble.

I guess this 'nagging' capability is a way to remind you of the effects of your
actions...?

> Possibly this is the wrong place to ask, but as an analogy I've noticed
> that prerequisites encountered when using CPAN's shell to install Perl
> modules are recognized and can be automatically installed. Why can't I
> automatically do the same with a de-install?

Because sometimes (often?) it's dangerous :) .

Upon reflection, it's probably only a good idea when you can see the dependency
tree in front of you, and you can see for sure that the thing you want to
un-install is just a branch.

> Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387

Thanks,
Josh

P.S.: For you folks that like to live dangerously and in an unrecommended
fashion, the previously suggested --force argument for 'rpm -e' wouldn't work-
you would need to use --nodeps instead:
rpm -e --nodeps apache

Re: [users@httpd] Uninstalling an apache rpm

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
At 04:02 PM 1/28/2004, Josh Wyatt wrote:
>Ryan.Nix@chi.ddb.com wrote:
>>
>>rpm -e httpd works best for me.  You can add a --force if you don't care
>>about dependency problems.
>
>No no no, don't do this, you'll go to dependency purgatory.

I think I'm at his cousin's house as we speak. :)

>Put all the dependencies on one 'rpm -e' line:
>
>rpm -e apache mod_ssl mod_perl
>
>There are only two dependencies, for finagle's sake.

I had half a doz or so when I tried. Now I've reinstalled rh9 using the
custom option, and wouldn't ya know it put httpd out there anyway!

I wanted to rem apache2 so I could install 1.3 standalone and then
mod_perl. At least I'm learning a few things better about getting a linux
box configured, now that I'm going through all the preliminary steps for
the second time.

BTW Josh, aren't there likely to be dependencies of the dependencies, and
etc..? Why is this such a hard thing to do?
Possibly this is the wrong place to ask, but as an analogy I've noticed
that prerequisites encountered when using CPAN's shell to install Perl
modules are recognized and can be automatically installed. Why can't I
automatically do the same with a de-install?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners

Re: [users@httpd] Uninstalling an apache rpm

Posted by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com>.

Posted by Ry...@chi.ddb.com.

rpm -e httpd works best for me.  You can add a --force if you don't care
about dependency problems.

             "Luc Foisy"
             <Luc.Foisy@techni
             cal-magic.com>                                             To
                                       "Apache HTTP Server List (E-mail)"
             01/28/04 02:39 PM         <us...@httpd.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             users@httpd.apach         [users@httpd] Uninstalling an