Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> on 2005/09/13 18:20:40 UTC

non-ASCII chars in resource names (e.g. german umlauts)

hi!

whenever i try to store a file with german umlauts in the webdav
repository, i just get back some garbled filename from the slide server:
eg. "xxxäxxx" becomes "xxx�xx" (actually it's stored as "xxx?xx")
i've tried different clients (konqueror, webfolder, davexplorer). none
with any usable results.

the server is running on a linux system.
i tried different values for the LANG environment variable: no effect.

any ideas? settings? hints?

 Edmund

Re: non-ASCII chars in resource names (e.g. german umlauts)

Posted by Hanan Herzog <ha...@mymcsb.com>.
This was my suspicion too, but I found that in my configuration (using
MySQL as store), Chinese characters show up fine in Cadaver and Firefox,
UNTIL I kill my tomcat and restart. After a restart, the Chinese
characters don't show up anymore. This casts my suspicion onto the
server-side.

After restart (Cadaver on Linux).

dav:/slide/files/> ls
Listing collection `/slide/files/': succeeded.
        ????                                   0  Sep 19 18:01
        ?????                                  0  Sep 19 17:34
dav:/slide/files/> rm *
[Matching... 2 matches.]
Deleting `%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F': failed:
404 Not Found: No object found at /files/_____
Deleting `%3F%3F%3F%3F': failed:
404 Not Found: No object found at /files/____

Hanan

Posted by Hanan Herzog <ha...@mymcsb.com>.
Thanks for the tip. I will make sure about the Utf-8 settings tomorrow.

Regards,

Hanan

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.net>.

Posted by Hanan Herzog <ha...@mymcsb.com>.

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.net>.
hi Carlos!

We have that same problem i europe. But that dll's in windows that handles
this encoding are updated when installing other microsoft components like
sharepoint portal server client or Microsoft Office. Therefor the default
Windows installation does not allways work with utf8 encoding but if I
intall microsoft office with latest service pack then the utf8 encoding
suddenly works.
These dll versions and problems are described here:

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.jp>.

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.net>.
Here is a small test.

Upload a file to your slide server with a special character in it like the
german ü.

Now use your windows explorer to browse the filestore directly on you
harddrive (not through webfolders). Does the letter show up as a ü or
something else?

Another thing - I have never tested with TC 5.5 only TC 5. Do you have any
special parameters in the domain.xml with respect to the configuration of
the filestore?

/jacob

Posted by Lixin Chu <li...@gmail.com>.
thanks. just tried.

Posted by Hanan Herzog <ha...@mymcsb.com>.
I am using a different configuration, but for whatever it's worth, I
have no problem saving and retrieving Chinese-character-named files. My
files are being stored on a MySQL store. I am using Cadaver
(command-line Webdav client) to upload files. Both Cadaver and Firefox
display the correct filename.

Did you try looking at the filename with a browser other than IE? Maybe
Firefox? Your problem may not be rooted in Slide, but how your browser
is decoding characters.

Hanan

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.net>.
You seem to have an encoding issue.

Make sure that your slide server encoding is the same as the clients.

DAVExplorer uses the local client encoding and webfolders depends on the
windows/office version when it comes to encoding (sometimes it uses the
client encoding and sometimes it uses utf-8).

In general it is recommendable to use utf-8 encoding for compatibility
reasons.

I recommend that you search through the slide mailing lists and search for
encoding. There has been a lot of communication about this issue.

/jacob