Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com> on 2018/06/01 18:22:47 UTC

JNLP removed from JDK 11

I do not believe this has been brought up yet. I did not see any bugs
open in jira relating to this issue.

JNLP was removed from JDK 11. I have not found any external
repositories where it has been moved to for continued usage. Seems to
be deprecated technology. Not sure if anyone has further information
on the status of JNLP.

It seems Netbeans has some fairly core usage of JNLP. Not sure if that
can be easily replaced/removed. Seems to be in use in various modules.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/search?q=jnlp&unscoped_q=jnlp

I ran into it missing here
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/ide/projectopener/src/org/netbeans/projectopener/Utils.java

Looks like till that is resolved. Netbeans cannot be built on JDK 11.
Not sure about other modules, as that is needed by a fair amount of
other modules and some what early on. I may build that piece with JDK
10 and proceed with the rest under 11 to see if there are other issues.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: JNLP removed from JDK 11

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:49:19 +0200
Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> As far as I remember the WebStart code was never open sourced.
> Whenever I needed an open source alternative, I had to use:
>
> apt-get install icedtea-netx
>
> E.g. I believe the necessary code/interfaces should be available
> somewhere. -jt

Thanks! Looks like they do exist in the icedtea repository.
http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea-web/file/348532e210c0/netx/javax/jnlp

I guess I can package that and see if it works out.

Though not sure about this. Seems to be a different implementation due
to the package name.
http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea-web/file/348532e210c0/netx/net/sourceforge/jnlp

Either way I guess Netbeans will need to use that going forward. I will
play around and see what I come up with as time permits.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: JNLP removed from JDK 11

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.