Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/01/22 04:22:34 UTC

CJAN => jakarta_gump?

I've received suggestions that this project of mine belongs as a part of
Ant, as a part of Alexandria, and as a separate project.  Another related
technology is http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/.

Now that the code is available, I'd like to solicit opinions on the
subject.  If you haven't seen the URLs, the code is available at:
   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/proto.zip
Example output can be found at:
   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/proto
It currently runs on Win2K, and we already have a volunteer porting it to
Unix.

My current feeling is that it should be layered on top of Ant, produce
output that can be consumed by JNLP, and either be included as a part of
Alexandria or exist as a separate subproject.

If the latter path is taken, I suggest the name "gump".  Why?

   1)      I'm a command line user.  I got tired of typing "gen && update
     all && build all", so I created a "guba.bat".  Reminded me of "Bubba
     Gump", from the movie "Forest Gump", which got me thinking...

   2)      There can not be a more perfect slogan for a tinderbox than "My
     mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know
     what you're gonna get."  ;-)

   3)      Why is cocoon the only project named after a cool movie?  ;-)

The reason why I would like to bring this up now is that I would like to
put this code under cvs control, place the output on the Apache site, and
cross link it into the existing web pages.

- Sam Ruby

Re: CJAN => jakarta_gump?

Posted by Cedric Berger <ce...@wireless-networks.com>.
> I've received suggestions that this project of mine belongs as a part of
> Ant, as a part of Alexandria, and as a separate project.  Another related
> technology is http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/.
>
> [...]
> My current feeling is that it should be layered on top of Ant, produce
> output that can be consumed by JNLP, and either be included as a part of
> Alexandria or exist as a separate subproject.

Your prototype looks very cool, but I don't quite get the
connection with WebStart/JNLP... Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Cedric

Re: CJAN => jakarta_gump?

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@totalsync.com>.
> > If the latter path is taken, I suggest the name "gump".
> >
> +1 to gump
>
> +1 to including it in whatever project you feel you want to include it in
or
> even making it its own jakarta project.
>
> -jon

I'm all for it making a home for itself quickly.  I have been working on the
unix side, and tweaking the XSL and scripts quite a bit.

Scott Sanders

Who else is working on the Unix side?

Re: CJAN => jakarta_gump?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.