Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2018/01/24 20:27:08 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Guacamole CI Builds

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:56 AM, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>
> >
> > 2) Personally I don't have an affinity for one CI system or another - if
> > > ASF provides Jenkins, seems like that's probably the best way to go,
> but
> > > I'm not familiar enough with Jenkins or Travis or any of the others to
> > know
> > > what the merits of one are vs. another.
> > >

> > I'm pretty squarely in the Jenkins camp, as I've found Travis overly
> > limiting and separation-of-concerns-violatey:
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-server/
> > pull/110#issuecomment-331723648
> >
> > ... but am curious what others here think.
> >
> > - Mike
> >

> Sounds good - I agree that having the Travis CI code inside the repo seems
> a little...odd, and that it feels cleaner to have the build system handling
> things completely separate from the code.  Jenkins is fine with me, the
> more-so since ASF runs an instance.

We now have Jenkins handling CI for Guacamole:

https://builds.apache.org/view/E-G/view/Guacamole/

There are a currently a pair of builds which build the master branches of
guacamole-client and guacamole-server, and another pair of builds which do
the same but ship the results to Coverity Scan for analysis. The
guacamole-client builds were much easier, as the ASF build nodes seem
geared towards building Java, while the guacamole-server builds required
dynamic generation of Docker images to take care of installation of
dependencies without touching the build nodes themselves. Both of the
Coverity builds also download the Coverity build tools (~500MB) at the
beginning of the build to avoid having to install those tools globally.

All builds are configured to email dev@ upon failure.

Next steps are to add a build which verifies the latest still builds
against the various supported versions of FreeRDP (the other dependencies
do not need this), and then to look into checkstyle builds to verify the
style of received pull requests automatically, as suggested by Carl some
time ago:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/pull/184#issuecomment-334850490

- Mike