Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by KnightRider <ks...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/07 17:50:42 UTC

Storing positions and offsets vs FieldType IndexOptions DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS_AND_OFFSETS

I see that Lucene 4.x has FieldInfo.IndexOptions that can be used to tell
lucene whether to Index Documents/Frequencies/Positions/Offsets.

We are in the process of upgrading from Lucene 2.9 to Lucene 4.x and I was
wondering if there was a way to tell lucene whether to index
docs/freqs/pos/offsets or not in the older versions (2.9) or did it always
index positions and offsets by default?

Also I see that Lucene 4.x has FieldType.setStoreTermVectorPositions and
FieldType.setStoreTermVectorOffsets.
Can someone please tell me a usecase for storing positions and offsets in
Is it necessary to store termvector positions and offsets when using
IndexOptions.DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS_AND_OFFSETS?

Thanks
-kRider

-----
Thanks
-K'Rider

Re: Storing positions and offsets vs FieldType IndexOptions DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS_AND_OFFSETS

Posted by Andy Lee <16...@qq.com>.
I also met the same problem, could you tell me why? Thanks

Re: Storing positions and offsets vs FieldType IndexOptions DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS_AND_OFFSETS

Posted by KnightRider <ks...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn. I'll reach out to Lucene discussion group.

-----

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/7/2013 9:50 AM, KnightRider wrote:
> I see that Lucene 4.x has FieldInfo.IndexOptions that can be used to tell
> lucene whether to Index Documents/Frequencies/Positions/Offsets.

I really don't like giving unhelpful responses like this, but I don't
think there's any other way to go.

This is the solr-user mailing list.  Most of the end-users here (and a
few of the regulars, including myself) have very little experience with
Lucene, even though Solr is a Lucene application and the source code is
part of Lucene.

There are a number of lucene-specific discussion places available:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/discussion.html

Thanks,
Shawn