Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Kaleb Axon <do...@axon-family.net> on 2001/06/07 02:45:02 UTC

I'm getting a 5-second delay on both POP3 and SMTP

Whenever I connect to either POP3 or SMTP from another system, I get a
five-second delay; but it doesn't happen when I connect from the same system
that JAMES is running on.  Any ideas?

Kaleb

Re: I'm getting a 5-second delay on both POP3 and SMTP

Posted by Kaleb Axon <do...@axon-family.net>.
> > Whenever I connect to either POP3 or SMTP from another system, I get a
> > five-second delay; but it doesn't happen when I connect from the same
system
> > that JAMES is running on.  Any ideas?
>
> Looks like the DNS lookup is causing the delay

Thanks.  Actually, the problem turned out to be an error in the servernames
section, which brings up a question:  What exactly is the purpose of
servernames?  From my reading of the comments, I would have expected it to
not work at all when improperly configured.

Posted by Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>.

Kaleb Axon wrote:

> Whenever I connect to either POP3 or SMTP from another system, I get a
> five-second delay; but it doesn't happen when I connect from the same system
> that JAMES is running on.  Any ideas?

Looks like the DNS lookup is causing the delay - you may want to verify
this by putting a "hosts" file on the other system with an entry that
points to the original machine.  If this makes a difference it's
probably a DNS lookup else it's something else.

Nitin Borwankar