Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/06/26 18:07:04 UTC

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/service/java SimpleService.jav a

>> I've been told there is some fools which use this 'OS' ;)
>
>Fools indeed..

I think many peoples should thanks Linux success.

Linux, (like Apache) show to many IT directors that
OpenSource was a VIABLE SOLUTION.

And with distributions like Redhat, Mandrake, Suse
installing Linux Boxes is no more reserved to high end
Unix gurus. OpenSource meet now a larger audience.

>> Even IBM have Linux port on their mainframe OS390 and now
>> under AS/400.
>
>Yeah, too bad that basically they replaced 50% of the
>kernel... They use
>their own threads, their own memory
>allocation/optimizations... Their I/O.

I'll take a look soon at Suse 7.1 on my AS/400 and I'll
could tell  you what is IBM and what is community.

>Their "port" is an operating system as close to Linux almost
>as MacOS/X is close to FreeBSD... (or that's what I was told by some IBM
>officials here in the UK)....

Officials or Technicals ?) That's could be a big difference ...

>> But did you try with the IBM SDK for Linux ?
>
>It's not the SDK, it the ld.so, glibc, and libpthread (or better their
>kernel implementations)... The VM (incredibly enough) is the only thing
>running correctly...

May be you could drop a note to GNU team next time you'll meet them.
As Jon said, it's OpenSource and you could contribute having a better
product or just live with it.

So better stop this thread there before it turns in a flams wars...