Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2004/01/09 11:40:24 UTC

[VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Hi all,

Another infrastructure issue to consider. The ASF is currently installing a
JIRA instance (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/). Each ASF project
will need to decide whether it wishes to move to the new system or stay with
BugZilla.

If moving, all current BugZilla issues will be migrated. This one is a fair
way off still as the instance and migration issues are shaken down but I'd
like to get an indication of where people feel we should go.

[ ] +1 Bugzilla sucks - go to Jira
[ ] -1 BugZilla rocks - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Let me know.

Conor

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@corvil.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
>wrote:
>

>>If moving, all current BugZilla issues will be migrated.
>>

>This is the most important feature to me, otherwise I don't care too
>much.  I'm not unhappy with Bugzilla but not thrilled by it either.

I would agree with Stefan, although I rather like bugzilla.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:40:33PM +0100, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I have tried the popular issues link :
> http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10388&report=popular
> from
> the ant's main page :
> http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10388

(it's all disappeared now - we've done the final migration from codehaus
and the jira instance is now live)

> I see an empty frame. Did your data migration procedure import the
> votes ?

No it didn't.  I'm very glad you noticed, because it gives me a chance to
fix that before we import any Bugzilla projects.

> I also tried to get my password by email (assuming that you migrated
> the users too) but got no email so far.

The mail server hadn't been configured.  It has now.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--Jeff

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> If moving, all current BugZilla issues will be migrated.

This is the most important feature to me, otherwise I don't care too
much.  I'm not unhappy with Bugzilla but not thrilled by it either.

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Disclaimer: I work for Atlassian, the company responsible for Jira.  I've
> had my Apache hat a good deal longer though.

These all seem reasonable comments; I like your honesty about the
limitations. As nobody has stood up and accused the product of being
outright evil (which I will do do ClearQuest and to a lesser extent
ClearCase(*)). I would like a net api so that apps can do stuff like
present their own UI *if needed*.

 >>>[ 1 ] +1 Bugzilla sucks - go to Jira

(*) I dont really view ClearCase as evil. More like a dark and
unforgiving mountain ice route that will destroy you uncaringly if you
get something even slightly wrong. No, it is sourcesafe that it is evil,
primarily though the fact that it gives users the illusion that it
actually keeps your source safe on the sever, when in fact it keeps the
source in a shoe box somewhere on the roof, exposed to the weather and
likely to wash away lines of text in the rain.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Disclaimer: I work for Atlassian, the company responsible for Jira.  I've
> had my Apache hat a good deal longer though.

I have always said that Bugzilla was fine for me, no need to change.
Then I tried JIRA, and find it generally nicer, but for the use I make
of it, no real big change (heavy users have found it much metter though).

Then Pier said that he will not upgrade Bugzilla as it sucks and he is
damn fed up with it, so now I champion Jira. :-)

(At work I use Scarab because it's free, and it's a pilot program. I'm
sure it will be come a great piece of software, but IMHO ATM it's more
complicated to use, so I still prefer to see Jira here for now)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another infrastructure issue to consider. The ASF is currently installing a
> JIRA instance (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/). Each ASF project
> will need to decide whether it wishes to move to the new system or stay with
> BugZilla.
>
> If moving, all current BugZilla issues will be migrated. This one is a fair
> way off still as the instance and migration issues are shaken down but I'd
> like to get an indication of where people feel we should go.
>
> [ ] +1 Bugzilla sucks - go to Jira
> [ ] -1 BugZilla rocks - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While I have a lot of disrespect for bugzilla; I have had even worse
experiences with Rational ClearQuest, so would like to know more about
Jira ... has anyone used it? What was the experience? What is there in
the way of SOAP or REST programmatic interaction?

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Gus Heck wrote:
> My non-non commiter vote:
>
>> [ ] +1 Bugzilla sucks - go to Jira
>> [x] -1 BugZilla rocks - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oh, this is good.

I agree with you; bug entry is critical.

When we used Rational ClearQuest, I once spent 30 minutes filling in
some inordinately complex form describing a hard to replicate problem,
with all the test data, etc.

Then I hit submit, and got

"session timed out"

needless to say, I was not happy - we moved to bugzilla shortly
thereafter, showing that usability comes above seamless integration with
SCM tools.

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@cognition.olin.edu>.
My non-non commiter vote:

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:

>> I have just had a look at the JIRA web site, and their product looks
>> nicer than bugzilla.
>>

> So
>
> [x] +1 Bugzilla sucks - go to Jira
> [ ] -1 BugZilla rocks - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> I hope that the other Apache projects will be positive to migrate to
> JIRA, because there is sometimes a certain synergy in having all the
> Apache projects in the same bug tracking system,
> for instance you can reassign to the tomcat colleagues a problem with
> jspc if you think that it is not ant's fault, ...

IMO the W3C and Sun workstations should also be on the same system. But
really this calls for a federated defect cross assignment network (built
on something like RDF perhaps)

Re: [VOTE] Bug Tracking System

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.