Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steph Richardson <st...@kvasar.com> on 2003/08/21 22:09:54 UTC

Tools for benchmarking & profiling Tomcat

I guess this is more of a generic http server question than a tomcat one, but I'm looking for recommended toolset(s) to use in
benchmarking the performace of our tomcat based webapps.
I'm looking for something like Apache Benchmarking Tool that I could use on windows - preferably free, and preferably a java based
thing that I could run elsewhere, and that I could wrap in Ant tasks, and that supports https.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steph Richardson
Kvasar Technology LLC
HQ: suite 106, 822 Boylston st., Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
smtp : steph@kvasar.com
http : www.kvasar.com

Re: Tools for benchmarking & profiling Tomcat

Posted by ma...@dolphtech.com.
I have not gotten jmeter to support mutually authenticated SSL.  Is this
possible?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
jmeter

-Tim

Posted by Steph Richardson <st...@kvasar.com>.
Second half of this question is what is a good profiler to use with Tomcat ?

I am currently using JProfiler ( http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html ) which plugs & plays really easily
with my current Tomcat install, BUT it's major problem is that it includes time that threads spend idly listening on sockets. So
when trying to identify performance hotspots in a server app like tomcat, it becomes very difficult to get a good view of what
percentage of time is spent where.

I have seen "JProf" ( http://starship.python.net/crew/garyp/jProf.html ) but I am scared by the use of the terms C++ & JFC on the
intro page.

Any other suggestions - especially for something that will work well with Tomcat & understands how to treat time spent in the IO
libs.

Thanks,

Steph