Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brown Bay <br...@hotmail.com> on 2001/12/21 17:30:21 UTC

Newbie: set java arguments

I want to add to my java command line arguments
***-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=javaORB.CORBA.ORBSingleton -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSi
ngletonClass=JavaORB.CORBA.ORBSingleton***

In the shortcut to startup tomcat we see
***"C:\Program
Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.0_01\bin\java.exe" -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Program
Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0" "C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
4.0\bin\bootstrap.jar" start***

When i try to put the -Dorg.omg....  to this startup the buffer in the
shortcut does not take these many characters. Is there any other way that I
can add the 1st set of arguments to the startup parameters for tomcat.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Brown Bay.

Re: Newbie: initialize ORBSingleton

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I am not certain, but it seems to me a kinda of exception that
servlet can't get to the target reference object, e.g., not in the
CLASSPATH, or by simliar causes.

Otherwise, I have to pass this to other folks.

Cheers,

Pae

Posted by Brown Bay <br...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Newbie: set java arguments

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Brown -

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Brown Bay wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:30:21 -0600
> From: Brown Bay <br...@hotmail.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Newbie: set java arguments
>
> I want to add to my java command line arguments
> ***-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=javaORB.CORBA.ORBSingleton -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSi
> ngletonClass=JavaORB.CORBA.ORBSingleton***
>
> In the shortcut to startup tomcat we see
> ***"C:\Program
> Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.0_01\bin\java.exe" -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Program
> Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0" "C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
> 4.0\bin\bootstrap.jar" start***
>
> When i try to put the -Dorg.omg....  to this startup the buffer in the
> shortcut does not take these many characters. Is there any other way that I
> can add the 1st set of arguments to the startup parameters for tomcat.
>
> Please let me know.

The standard way to pass arguments like this to the JVM is to set the
CATALINA_OPTS environment variable (this is for Tomcat 4.x -- in Tomcat
3.x it was called TOMCAT_OPTS) before starting Tomcat.

You should be aware, however, that Windows has limits on the overall
length of the command line (and the limit seems to vary depending on which
version of Windows you're talking about -- you'd think that they would
reuse the COMMAND.COM code :-).  About the only thing you can do, short of
switching operating systems, is install Tomcat in a directory with a
shorter path.

> Thanks.
>
> Brown Bay.

Craig