Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by ri...@saunalahti.fi on 2013/03/15 19:38:22 UTC

Small concern about the translation corruption

Hello!
I have noticed that in Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0 test version has somehow corrupted Finnish UI texts. Yet those lines were correct previously in Pootle and in published version (3.4.1).
Is there any possibility that those corrupted lines are going to final version or is there some better way?
I don't know who and how this corruption is made but I am quite sure that there is nobody who will correct again and again same already translated lines without prober salary.

Test version:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Tunnistus.gif

Example of corruption:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Puute1.gif

Regards
Risto

Re: Small concern about the translation corruption

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Am Freitag, 15. März 2013 um 19:38 schrieb risto.i.j@saunalahti.fi:
> Hello!
> I have noticed that in Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0 test version has somehow corrupted Finnish UI texts. Yet those lines were correct previously in Pootle and in published version (3.4.1).
> Is there any possibility that those corrupted lines are going to final version or is there some better way?
> I don't know who and how this corruption is made but I am quite sure that there is nobody who will correct again and again same already translated lines without prober salary.
>
> Test version:
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Tunnistus.gif
>
> Example of corruption:
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Puute1.gif

I assume it is the result of some reorganization and moving of strings. This is sometimes necessary to do some clean up. The translated resources for AOO 4.0 are not yet adapted and we have that on our plan. We will have new strings as well. I hope there will be volunteers who are interested to help with the translation again to make AOO 4.0 available in Finish.

Juergen

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Risto,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:38:22PM +0200, risto.i.j@saunalahti.fi wrote:
> Hello!  I have noticed that in Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0 test version
> has somehow corrupted Finnish UI texts. Yet those lines were correct
> previously in Pootle and in published version (3.4.1).  Is there any
> possibility that those corrupted lines are going to final version or
> is there some better way?

The translations done so far were on the 3.4 branch code, so some
strings that have already been translated might appear as untranslated
due to being moved on the source, the ID being changed, etc. Your
screenshots show two cases (I've made the source change for both, so
I'll comment):

- the About dialog resource file has been modified, so the strings
  appear as new. In this particular case, the copyright text was on
  a single file that forced creating a single resource file for that
  only purpose in the svx module, now it has bee moved to cui
  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=1351463
  This simplifies code maintenance, modularity, etc.

- the menu Labels have been reorganized, strings duplicated among
  several applications have been removed, and a single string added to
  a new shared location, see for example

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleCommands.xcu?revision=1225984&view=markup
versus
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleCommands.xcu?revision=1349914&view=markup

This has the drawback that already translated strings might appear as
new, but the gain is obvious: just as example, the file in the link
above is now empty, has no strings to translate.

> I don't know who and how this corruption is made but I am quite sure
> that there is nobody who will correct again and again same already
> translated lines without prober salary.

Depending on the software you use to translate, the translation memory
might do the job without effort.

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Small concern about the translation corruption

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi.

I work on the branch l10n, if that is where it is corrupted, then there is
a good reason.

However if it is in trunk, then it is due to something else, that I am
unaware of.

If the problem persist, when we think about releasing 4.0, someone can
simply take the 3.4.1 po files and merge with the 4.0 po files

the new tool (genLang) have a specific feature to do exactly that. It is
called "convert" and allows you to take "old" po files and overwrite the
content on new po files.

If the l10n is not finished in time, there is an alternate way, and use the
3.4.1 sdf files, however that requires more manual work.

When the times comes, I will be available to help (if needed), but we do
need something with finish knowledge in order to check the merged
translation.

rgds
jan I.