Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> on 2024/03/05 06:00:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Celeborn (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Hi All,

Apache Celeborn joined Incubator in October 2022 [1]. Since then,
we've made significant progress towards maturing our community and
adopting the Apache Way.

After a thorough discussion [2], the community has voted [3] that we
would like to proceed with graduation [4]. Furthermore, we'd like to
call upon the Incubator PMC to review and discuss our progress and
would appreciate any and all feedback towards graduation.

Below are some facts and project highlights from the incubation phase
as well as the draft resolution:

- Currently, our community consists of 19 committers (including
mentors) from more than 10 companies, with 13 serving as PPMC members
[5].
- So far, we have boasted 81 contributors.
- Throughout the incubation period, we've made 6 releases [6] in 16
months, at a stable pace.
- We've had 6 different release managers to date.
- Our software is used in production by 10+ well known entities [7].
- As yet, we have opened 1,302 issues with 1,191 successfully resolved [8].
- We have submitted a total of 1,840 PRs, out of which 1,830 have been
merged or closed [9].
- Through self-assessment [10], we have met all maturity criteria as
outlined in [11].

We've resolved all branding issues which include Logo, GitHub repo,
document, website, and others [12] [13].

We'd also like to take this opportunity to extend a sincere thank you
to our mentors, for their invaluable insight and assistance with
getting us to this point.

Thanks a lot, Becket Qin, Duo Zhang, Lidong Dai, Willem Ning Jiang and Yu Li!

Establish the Apache Celeborn Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to an intermediate data service for big data computing engines
to boost performance, stability, and flexibility.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Celeborn Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Celeborn Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to an intermediate
data service for big data computing engines to boost performance,
stability, and flexibility; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Celeborn" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Celeborn
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Celeborn
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Celeborn
Project:

* Becket Qin <jq...@apache.org>
* Cheng Pan <ch...@apache.org>
* Duo Zhang <zh...@apache.org>
* Ethan Feng <et...@apache.org>
* Fu Chen <fc...@apache.org>
* Jiashu Xiong <re...@apache.org>
* Kerwin Zhang <ke...@apache.org>
* Keyong Zhou <zh...@apache.org>
* Lidong Dai <li...@apache.org>
* Willem Ning Jiang <ni...@apache.org>
* Wu Wei <po...@apache.org>
* Yi Zhu <an...@apache.org>
* Yu Li <li...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Keyong Zhou be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache Celeborn, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Celeborn Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Celeborn
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Celeborn podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Best Regards,
Yu (on behalf of the Apache Celeborn PPMC)

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/celeborn.html
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/z17rs0mw4nyv0s112dklmv7s3j053mby
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/p1gykvxog456v5chvwmr4wk454qzmh3o
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/tqhh28q9r38czx677nh2ktc97tnlndw3
[5] https://celeborn.apache.org/community/project_management_committee
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CELEBORN?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:release-page&status=released
[7] https://github.com/apache/incubator-celeborn/issues/2140
[8] https://s.apache.org/celeborn_jira_issues
[9] https://github.com/apache/incubator-celeborn/pulls
[10] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CELEBORN/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+Celeborn
[11] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
[12] https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/celeborn
[13] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-206

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Celeborn (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for the positive feedback and valuable suggestions.

There seems to be no blockers for graduation, and I plan to start the
vote in a few hours. Please let me know if there are any objections.
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, looks good now

Posted by rexxiong <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Wei Wu <po...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Good luck!

Thanks,
Wei Wu

Posted by Yihe Li <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)
Looking forward to the graduation of Celeborn.

Thanks,
Yihe Li

Posted by Fu Chen <cf...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)