Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joseph Naegele <jn...@grierforensics.com> on 2016/03/04 22:04:50 UTC

change HDFS disks on each node

Hi all,

Each of our N datanodes has attached two 3TB disks. I want to attach new
*replacement* storage to each node, move the HDFS contents to the new
storage, and remove the old volumes. We're using Hadoop 2.7.1.

1. What is the simplest, correct way to do this? Does hot-swapping move data
from old disks to new disks? I am able to stop the cluster completely.

2. Is it reasonable to use LVM to create expandable logical volumes? We're
using AWS and contemplating switching from SSDs to magnetic storage, which
is limited to 1TB volumes.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: change HDFS disks on each node

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, it is possible, but If I were you and someone asked me to do it, I would say No.

May I suggest that you decommission one node, let the data migrate to other machines, replace the disks and bring that machine back in and let the cluster heal itself.
Not as efficient as moving data around by yourself, but safer and way more simpler than doing it manually.

Thanks
Anu

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.