Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/02/22 05:45:10 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 5001 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_wc libsvn_client libsvn_delta

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 08:58:44PM -0600, rooneg@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: rooneg
> Date: 2003-02-20 20:58:29 -0600 (Thu, 20 Feb 2003)
> New Revision: 5001
>
> Added:
>    trunk/subversion/include/svn_cancel.h

Why the new header? We've got way too many as it is :-(

I'd say add it to svn_delta.h or to svn_types.h.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svn commit: rev 5001 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_wc libsvn_client libsvn_delta

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 12:15 PM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 12:11, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> but the cancellation editor is in svn_delta.h right now.  the only
>> thing left in svn_cancel.h is the typedef for svn_cancel_func_t,
>> that's
>> what greg is proposing we move to svn_types.h.
>
> Ah, I failed to understand.  Still, it seems like it belongs right next
> to the declaration of svn_delta_get_cancellation_editor.

see, i disagree on that point.  there's nothing about the cancellation
callback that implies it has anything to do with editors, that's just
an implementation detail.  i don't see why svn_client.h should be
including svn_delta.h just to get a typedef that has nothing to do with
libsvn_delta other than being used by an editor that lives in
libsvn_delta.

-garrett

Re: svn commit: rev 5001 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_wc libsvn_client libsvn_delta

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 10:40 AM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 09:41, Philip Martin wrote:
>> I don't think svn_types.h is correct.  The "cancellation" editor
>> doesn't really have anything to do with cancellation, it's simply an
>> editor that calls a given function before dispatching to another
>> editor.  If you renamed it the "prefix" editor it would live quite
>> naturally in svn_delta.h.  It could even be generalised to have both
>> prefix and suffix functions.
>
> I'm not sure if making it more abstract will make our code clearer or
> not.  It's an interesting idea, though.
>
> But it seems wrong to, having accepted the argument that the
> cancellation editor should live in libsvn_delta, exclude it from
> svn_delta.h and move it to a header file which doesn't even know the
> nceessary types (svn_delta_editor_t).

but the cancellation editor is in svn_delta.h right now.  the only
thing left in svn_cancel.h is the typedef for svn_cancel_func_t, that's
what greg is proposing we move to svn_types.h.

as for making it more generic, i agree with greg h, it seems like it'll
just make the code less clear.  right now it's painfully obvious from
the function name that we're wrapping the editor for cancellation
purposes, if we make it into svn_delta_get_prefix_editor, it's much
less clear.

-garrett

Re: svn commit: rev 5001 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_wc libsvn_client libsvn_delta

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.