Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us> on 2007/03/01 16:36:37 UTC

Added new proposal: feed history

Hi everyone,

I just posted the (very simple) feed history to the wiki:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Roller+Proposals

Please comment on it and give me a thumbs up with a pointer where I can
commit this work to (is it trunk or 4.0 branch)?

-Elias

Re: Added new proposal: feed history

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Elias Torres wrote:
> [snip]
> Feed history is a draft, but those link/@rel (first, next, previous,
> last) are baked really hard into APP. As a matter of fact is also
> already in our code for Atom Protocol written by Dave.

General fyi... the feed history draft has entered last call.

- James

Re: Added new proposal: feed history

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Elias Torres wrote:

> Allen Gilliland wrote:
>> I think you pasted the wrong url.  It should be ...
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Proposal_FeedHistory
>
> oops..
>
>> I am basically +0 on this proposal and could be swayed either way.  I
>> don't have any particular problems with it other than the fact that it's
>> a draft and I'm not particularly keen to put implementations of draft
>> specs into a solid product.  That can be overcome with Dave's earlier
>> suggestion though, which is that if we do this it should be 1)
>> toggleable via the config file and 2) disabled by default.  So this is a
>> prerequisite for me until the spec goes final.
>
> Feed history is a draft, but those link/@rel (first, next, previous,
> last) are baked really hard into APP. As a matter of fact is also
> already in our code for Atom Protocol written by Dave.
>
> Link relationships in Atom are nice because they are not intrusive at
> all. It's something that can be ignored if not understood very easily,
> so it shouldn't be a big deal if we turn it on. In the case that the
> spec falls through, we remove it.

Fair enough, but i don't think it's that big of a deal to make this
configurable until the spec is final.  I still prefer that the default
be to have this disabled by default until this is an approved standard.

> I think Roller has way too many options. When in doubt, search for
> RollerConfig.getProperty() in the code to see if there's an option for
> what I want.

Ah c'mon, configurability is a good thing!

It's probably easier to just look in the roller.properties file for a
couple reasons 1) there are comments about the props there and 2) not
all props are read directly using their key, some are done via pattern.
  the cache props are an example where each cache gets its props via
cache.<cachename>.* and doesn't lookup the props manually.

Also, AFAIK there are no props that are supported and don't have a
default value in the config file.

>> My other hangup is more of a generalized sense that this is
>> functionality that could be better supported via a web service than
>> feeds.  Part of me feels that feeds are ephemeral and designed to be
>> just a summary by design and this changes the nature of that, but I
>> could be persuaded otherwise.
>
> whoa.. do I see a REST vs WS* argument brewing? :D

not at all, i could really care less about REST vs WS* to be honest.

> /[handle]/feeds/atom?page=1 is a web service. If feeds were ephemeral,
> APP would have no hope of becoming the standard and de-facto API for
> read-write web.

touche.

-- Allen

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.