Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com> on 2019/04/10 13:41:04 UTC

ATS connections stuck at 30K

Hi,
we are using ATS 7.1.6 for live HLS/DASH.
when we start load testing we see that the number of Curr Conn as reported
by traffic top never goes over 30K (even when there are 60K unique clients)

we changed proxy.config.net.connections_throttle to 500000 (Default Value
: 30000)
but it doesn't seem to apply.

BR,
erez

--
Sent from: http://apache-traffic-server.24303.n7.nabble.com/

Re: ATS connections stuck at 30K

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 12:04 AM, ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com> wrote:
>
> thanks for the additional info leif.
> i couldn't find proxy.config.net.max_connections_in in any of the 7.x docs ,
> is it possible it's missing ?

Hmmm, yeah, that seems to be the case. Bryan, what happened here? :-). This is still the configuration to use for managing active/inactive inbound conns, no ? The code is still there …

— Leif

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 10, 2019, at 9:34 AM, ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com> wrote:
>
> Actually we missed that one.
> looks much better now.
> thanks very much for the catch.

Great. Just as an FYI, we changed how we manage connections in 7.x. Essentially, proxy.config.net.connections_throttle is the max number of connections it can handle, and it should be at least as big as proxy.config.net.max_connections_in. However, the latter also has an implication on how we reap idle connections.

In old versions of ATS, idle connections (“Keep-Alive”) would time out via server settings. But now, we instead try to keep them around as long as possible (or until the client closes it), *unless* you reach proxy.config.net.max_connections_in, at which point we start killing the oldest, idle connection.

I think this new system is a lot better, and easier to manage, since you don’t have to try to guess the KA timeouts on the server to match up your max connection settings. It’s a lot more robust this way, but perhaps slightly confusing in that there are two settings.

Bryan: I’m wondering if we should make something less confusing here? Should we have something such that proxy.config.net.connections_throttle is replaced with the “sum” of the max incoming and outgoing server (plus some additional futzing) ? We already have proxy.config.http.server_max_connections, which is default to zero now, but maybe it should be set to 30k as well, and we tune the max number of FDs to (proxy.config.http.server_max_connections + proxy.config.net.max_connections_in) ?

Cheers,

— leif

Posted by ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com>.
Actually we missed that one.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 10, 2019, at 6:41 AM, ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> we are using ATS 7.1.6 for live HLS/DASH.
> when we start load testing we see that the number of Curr Conn as reported
> by traffic top never goes over 30K (even when there are 60K unique clients)
>
> we changed proxy.config.net.connections_throttle to 500000 (Default Value
> : 30000)
> but it doesn't seem to apply.

Did you change proxy.config.net.max_connections_in too ?

— Leif

Posted by ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com>.
no , it's consistent

netstat -nlpta | grep EST | wc -l
30162

ll /proc/28977/fd/ | wc -l
30118

Posted by ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com>.
no, it's consistent

netstat -nlpta | grep EST | wc -l
30064

ll /proc/28977/fd/ | wc -l
30121

Posted by Jeremy Payne <jp...@gmail.com>.
Does netstat show more than 30k established connections?

Posted by ezko <er...@harmonicinc.com>.
it is under systemd

Posted by Jeremy Payne <jp...@gmail.com>.
is ATS under systemd control ?
you may need to set LimitNOFILE in your systemd unit file.

Posted by Jeremy Payne <jp...@gmail.com>.
Is the OS complaining about too many open files?