Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Pane <br...@cnet.com> on 2002/11/27 18:23:54 UTC

Re: request for comments: multiple-connections-per-thread MPM des ign

Juan Rivera wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Does your model assume that connections are short lived (HTTP)?
>
> One problem with the current model is that if you implement, let's say
> mod_socks, it holds a connection per thread.
>
> Is that something your model addresses?
>
> I'm looking into a pure async i/o model which addresses this problem
> but has bigger compatibility issues, yours may not.

My model supports long-lived connections with
short individual transactions (HTTP with keepalives,
for example).  I think Manoj's design could support
a broader range of protocols, because it doesn't
associate specific protocol handling states (read
request, prepare response, send response) with
dedicated thread pools the way my design does.

Brian