Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ningappa Koneri <ni...@comviva.com> on 2010/03/16 11:02:20 UTC

Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

Dear All,

I have an issue with tomcat 6 which is deployed under RHEL3 with JDK5, the problem is tomcat is taking hell lot of time in deploying the war files when started.
It's so busy that not responding back with home page also, what could be the problem ?

Regards,
Ningappa Koneri
mLifestyle | www.comviva.com

This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended recipient(s) ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies and the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents of the present e-mail is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies Limited or its management or directors, are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity over /of the contents of the information contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein are those of the individual sender only and no binding nature of the contents shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of Comviva Technologies Limited. E-mail and any contents transmitted with it are prone to viruses and related defects despite all efforts to avoid such by Comviva Technologies Limited.

RE: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: peter.crowther3@googlemail.com
> [mailto:peter.crowther3@googlemail.com] On Behalf Of Peter Crowther
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3
>
> Is the machine busy during all this time?

Could also be happening if the machine is otherwise idle and various bits of the JVM or your webapps are waiting for /dev/random to have enough bytes to work with.  Look in your JRE's lib/security/java.security file to see if the JVM is set to use /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom, and check your webapp code.

Take a thread dump during the startup delay and see what's going on.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.
On 17 March 2010 07:23, Ningappa Koneri <ni...@comviva.com> wrote:

> It took abt 1328 seconds to startup the applications. Please help.
>
> Did you see my response yesterday?

-- snip --
What's the spec of the machine on which you're running Tomcat?  How much
heap and permspace have you allocated to the Java virtual machine in which
Tomcat is running, and how much memory is it using?  (top will tell you how
much memory it's using; it will be more than heap+permspace due to other
operating system structures)

Is the machine busy during all this time?  If so, what is the limiting
factor - disk i/o, memory or CPU?  Run top to get an idea of CPU usage,
vmstat (I use "vmstat 5" until I have a better idea) to get an idea of disk
i/o.

How large is the war file?  If you unzip the war files (a war file is just a
zip file with a different extension) on the same machine, how long does it
take?
-- snip --

- Peter

Re: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 17/03/2010 07:23, Ningappa Koneri wrote:
> Hi Gurkan,
>
> I guess ur right, as tomcat is trying to deploy the applications it's taking lot of time because of compilation only I guess. One more thing is why home page is not coming? The http request bytes got stuck in recv queue of tomcat port. How to get rid of this situation ? can't v disable the compiling of jsp files at startup ?

Tomcat doesn't compile all of your JSPs at start up.  The delay is more
likely to be occurring for another reason.

You can precompile the JSPs during your build process, using the Jasper
Ant task.  See the docs for how to do this.

> It took abt 1328 seconds to startup the applications. Please help.
>
> INFO: Server startup in 1327549 ms :(

See Peter's email for more information.

RE: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

Re: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3