Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Markus Noch <en...@bsk-info.de> on 2002/01/10 18:32:33 UTC

htpasswd

hello list,

i have a problem, i`ve never had before.
i have a fresh configured apache server ( suse linux 7.2, apache 1.3.19 ).
i want to secure some directories with htpasswd. when i enter the specific site/directory with
my browser, the dialog-box for entering user and pw appears. i type in the right user and password,
and my logon is being rejected. i can reproduce this problem at any time.
my path to the specific directory in http.conf is right. but whats going wrong during authentification.
i am happy for any help given.

greetz,

                      Markus Noch
                 bsk IT Systemhaus GmbH
    .-.         Tel.: +49 6241 / 94650-21
    /v\             Klosterstrasse 23
   // \\              67547 Worms
  /(   )\
   ^^-^^
            _         _         _   _  ___   ____
           | |__  ___| | __    | \ | |/ _ \ / ___|
           | '_ \/ __| |/ /____|  \| | | | | |
           | |_) \__ \   <_____| |\  | |_| | |___
           |_.__/|___/_|\_\    |_| \_|\___/ \____|
             Network-Operation-Centre  POP Worms
                       noc@bsk-info.de
---Home is where ever those login prompts shine !----

RE: htpasswd

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: engel@ns.bsk-info.de [mailto:engel@ns.bsk-info.de]On Behalf Of
> Markus Noch

> i`ve found an error-log entry:
>
> [Sun Jan 13 15:50:10 2002] [error] [server ip_adress] sww: not a
> valid FDN: /admin.

Bingo.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#suseFDN

Joshua.

Re: htpasswd

Posted by Markus Noch <en...@bsk-info.de>.
hi,

i`ve found an error-log entry:

[Sun Jan 13 15:50:10 2002] [error] [server ip_adress] sww: not a valid FDN: /admin.

i am using the standard authentification module ( mod_auth ).
my log-level is set to debug.

here`s a acces-log entry during authentification:
server_ip - sww [13/Jan/2002:15:52:10 +0100] "GET /admin HTTP/1.0" 401 468

regards,

                      Markus Noch
                 bsk IT Systemhaus GmbH
    .-.         Tel.: +49 6241 / 94650-21
    /v\             Klosterstrasse 23
   // \\              67547 Worms
  /(   )\
   ^^-^^
            _         _         _   _  ___   ____
           | |__  ___| | __    | \ | |/ _ \ / ___|
           | '_ \/ __| |/ /____|  \| | | | | |
           |_.__/|___/_|\_\    |_| \_|\___/ \____|
Joshua Slive wrote:

> > From: engel@ns.bsk-info.de [mailto:engel@ns.bsk-info.de]On Behalf Of
> > here`s the excerpt of my conf:
> >
> > <Directory /path_to_secured_dir>
> >     AuthName <authname>
> >     AuthType Basic
> >     AuthUserFile /path_to_secured_dir/http.pwd
> >     require user <user>
> >     AllowOverride None
> > </Directory>
> > Markus Noch wrote:
> > > there are no entry`s in my error-log, when the password is rejected.
> > > in my acces-log i see a http 401 ( authorization needed ).
> > entry, but that`s ok.
> > > here`s a access-log entry: [11/Jan/2002:10:48:55 +0100] "GET
> > /admin/ HTTP/1.0" 401 468.
>
> First a couple nits:
>
> - Please try to properly trim and quote previous emails so that it doesn't
> take ages to figure out what is happening in the thread and craft a reply.
>
> - There is not much of a point in posting the config excerpt if you are
> going to munge every single line.  I already know what the directives are;
> if I'm going to help I need to know what arguments you used.
>
> - That really doesn't look like an access-log entry to me.  Are you sure you
> coppied everything?  What kind of a logformat are you using?
>
> Now, having vented, on to the problem.  I don't see an obvious error.  But
> the fact that there is nothing in the error log is very worrying.  Are you
> absolutely sure about that?  Are you using third-party authentication
> modules?  Are you using any third party modules?  Do you have an
> "ErrorDocument 401"?  If so, what does it look like?  Is LogLevel set to a
> reasonable value?
>
> If you can track down why there is nothing in the error log, I bet that you
> solve your problem.
>
> Joshua.

                      Markus Noch
                 bsk IT Systemhaus GmbH
    .-.         Tel.: +49 6241 / 94650-21
    /v\             Klosterstrasse 23
   // \\              67547 Worms
  /(   )\
   ^^-^^
            _         _         _   _  ___   ____
           | |__  ___| | __    | \ | |/ _ \ / ___|
           | '_ \/ __| |/ /____|  \| | | | | |
           |_.__/|___/_|\_\    |_| \_|\___/ \____|

RE: htpasswd

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: htpasswd

Posted by Markus Noch <en...@bsk-info.de>.
hi,

           |_.__/|___/_|\_\    |_| \_|\___/ \____|

Re: htpasswd

Posted by Markus Noch <en...@bsk-info.de>.
hi,

           |_.__/|___/_|\_\    |_| \_|\___/ \____|
Joshua Slive wrote:

> > From: engel@ns.bsk-info.de
>
> > i want to secure some directories with htpasswd. when i enter the
> > specific site/directory with
> > my browser, the dialog-box for entering user and pw appears. i
> > type in the right user and password,
> > and my logon is being rejected. i can reproduce this problem at any time.
> > my path to the specific directory in http.conf is right. but
> > whats going wrong during authentification.
> > i am happy for any help given.
>
> You need to start by telling us what the error log says and what the
> relevant excerpt of your config file looks like.
>
> Joshua.

                      Markus Noch
                 bsk IT Systemhaus GmbH
    .-.         Tel.: +49 6241 / 94650-21