Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2017/09/11 13:45:37 UTC

RE: Filtering disease term precisely from EventMention and loading MedDRA library for cTAKES [EXTERNAL]

Hi Ghandi,

"plan" is a synonym for C0270724: Infantile Neuroaxonal Dystrophy.

One outcome of using generic dictionaries that can be used across multiple fields of interest is that a valid term in one field can be misapplied to text from another.

Unwanted terms can be addressed per item by creating a more pointed dictionary without them, adding them to a blacklist that causes ctakes to discard them, or removing them with some kind of discriminating annotator.  The last includes application of word sense disambiguation, a hot topic on this forum as well as others.

If you create a custom dictionary you can add medDRA terms.  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/Dictionary+Creator+GUI

Sean

Posted by Gandhi Rajan Natarajan <Ga...@arisglobal.com>.
Hi Sean,

Thanks again for the response. For now, we are targeting only to report discovered diseases which we are planning to extend to product and so on if everything goes fine.

Regarding auto learning, we are thinking of implementing exactly the same as what you mentioned. If it works out, we will definitely make this information available if it helps everyone.

Regarding dictionary creator, I will definitely have a better look and get back to the experts like you. Thanks again for the guidance Sean.

Regards,
Gandhi

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Ghandi,