Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Raghunandana Jayarama Reddy <rj...@cs.stonybrook.edu> on 2018/03/22 09:58:45 UTC

GSoC 2018 - Hello to the community!

Hi Team,

My name is Raghu. I am a graduate student at Stony Brook University. I
shall be applying to GSoC2018 and came across the Apache Dubbo Incubation
that was posted on one of the Apache projects threads.
I'm interested in working and being a part of the Apache Dubbo development.
I went through some of the Dubbo's documentation(very basic) and just
skimmed through the code base and mailing list.

The details about the GSoC projects are very brief.
Can you please elaborate on the projects Dubbo -11(Extending Serialisation
protocols) and 14 (Optimize and improve the RFC) and if possible give the
links to these issue/enhancement threads in the github repo.

Also Please debrief on the projects Dubbo 25(Swagger Integration) and
27(Integration with Opentracing) on the GSoC thread.

I look forward to hearing back your suggestions & opinions.

Thanks
Raghu

Re: GSoC 2018 - Hello to the community!

Posted by jun liu <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Raghu

Welcome to The Dubbo Community. Very glad you interest in Dubbo and the potential improvement plans we've posted on GSoC. Features/enhancements listed here are all what we think very important for the core dubbo and the eco-systems around dubbo, some are also requirements reported by community users/developers. These including enhancements, third-party framework integration, features and architecture refactor, etc.

> Can you please elaborate on the projects Dubbo -11(Extending Serialisation
> protocols) and 14 (Optimize and improve the RFC) and if possible give the
> links to these issue/enhancement threads in the github repo.

Currently, these issues are only recorded on apache JIRA, because we think JIRA is the direct entrance for GSoC. Actually I prefer issues being tracked on github, if necessary, we can make a duplicate on github later. I have to say GSoC is also a good opportunity for the dubbo team, we make a thorough review of the requirements of the dubbo project recently, the issues for GSoC all come from these requirements. You may find some of the issues(requirements) only have a brief abstraction, sure they all need to be described in more details, that’s what i am working on, maybe we can work together to come up with a solution.

I noticed that your interest (Dubbo-11 and  Dubbo-14) is related to third-party framework integration. This is an important part for dubbo eco-system and also a good way to participate in dubbo. You do not need to have a thorough understanding of dubbo before starting work, only SPI [1] may enough. I will add more details on the JIRA later, so we can figure out detailed steps needed to finish the task one by one. Any question or suggestion, feel free to send to the dev mailing list or JIRA.

For Dubbo-11, refer [2] & [3]
For Dubbo-14, refer [4] & [5]

> Also Please debrief on the projects Dubbo 25(Swagger Integration) and
> 27(Integration with Opentracing) on the GSoC thread.

For Dubbo 25, i still need further research myself. In simple terms, dubbo is an interface-oriented RPC framework, users program with interfaces(every interface is a service) when using dubbo, see Quick Start[7] for how dubbo works. People define service(interface) - The Provider,  should provide detailed docs or at least comments of their services, only in this way, the people use the services - The Consumer, can know how to program with the service correctly. We want to figure out a way of registering API definitions automatically, like what REST can do with Swagger.

For Dubbo 27, openzipkin/brave’s integration is a very good example for reference[6].

[1]. http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/SPI.html <http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/SPI.html>
[2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-serialization <https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-serialization>
[3]. http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/impls/serialize.html <http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/impls/serialize.html>
[4]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-rpc <https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-rpc>
[5]. http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/impls/protocol.html <http://dubbo.apache.org/books/dubbo-dev-book-en/impls/protocol.html>
[6]. https://github.com/openzipkin/brave/tree/master/instrumentation/dubbo-rpc
[7]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-demo <https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/master/dubbo-demo>

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi Raghu,

Welcome to the community, and glad to see that you are interested in Dubbo!

The GSoC mentor of Dubbo, Jun, will provide more details to you.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing