Posted to dev@any23.apache.org by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/01 01:28:29 UTC

Re: Logging Discrepancies

On 1 May 2013 03:15, Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> We are very close to getting the RC out there (thank god)!
> I am pretty puzzled with one thing, when I build locally I get the
> following for a number of tests within various modules.
>
> SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
> SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further
> details.
>
> Can someone explain the rationale behind explicit Slf4j logging classes
> being used within various plugin modules, but no logging implementation
> existing within each modules pom.xml respectively?
> I *think* the idea is that logging is managed by parent pom.xml, however
> the absence of the dependencies is clearly not correct as we get no logging
> for test output other than default javac.

Those test modules may not have a logging implementation in their "test"
scope in Maven. It is simple enough to add a logger to their pom.xml file
and add the logger configuration file to src/test/resources for each of the
affected modules.

Personally I am against the fairly common approach that puts the loggers
into the test scope in the parent pom, instead of just managing the version
there, as it hides the fact that those dependencies are inherited by each
of the children.

Peter