Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ed Loehr <el...@austin.rr.com> on 2001/09/01 02:48:19 UTC

AxKit configuration question

Hi All,

I'm attempting to install AxKit 1.4 (and 10 or so other pre-requisite
modules) on my modperl/modssl server, and I'm trying to get the
ultra-basic AxKit manpage example to work ('perldoc AxKit').

The first sign of trouble has arisen:  httpd silently exits immediately
after startup once I add the specified AxKit configuration to my Apache
config files, and I have not been able to find any logging whatsoever
yet.  I can see it is successfully loading AxKit.pm, and producing
seemingly all of the normal Apache log startup messages I usually see.
It's just that when I go to the ps table, it is not there.  Does anyone
have a clue to offer before I recompile with debugging on?

My server's status line is

  Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

(it once had AxKit 1.4 in it, but I haven't been able to reproduce
that...)

Here's my httpd.conf file:

##################################
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
    Include conf/perl.conf
</IfModule>
##################################

Here's part of conf/perl.conf:

#######################################
PerlModule AxKit

<Location /ax>
    # Install AxKit main parts
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler AxKit

    # Setup style type mappings
    AxAddStyleMap text/xsl Apache::AxKit::Language::Sablot
    AxAddStyleMap application/x-xpathscript \
           Apache::AxKit::Language::XPathScript

    # Optionally set a hard coded cache directory
    # make sure this is writable by nobody
    AxCacheDir /opt/axkit/cachedir

    # turn on debugging (1 - 10)
    AxDebugLevel 10
    AxStackTrace On
    AxLogDeclines On
</Location>
######################################

If I delete this section of perl.conf, the server starts and runs fine,
albeit without the desired AxKit effect!!

The only thing I have not investigated are a bunch of log messages re
Apache::Status as follows ...

Subroutine menu_item redefined at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/Apache/Status.pm line 46.

and a bunch for mod_perl.pm ...

Subroutine Apache::Table::TIEHASH redefined at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/mod_perl.pm line 65535.

Thanks in advance for any clues/pointers.

Ed Loehr

Re: AxKit configuration question

Posted by Ed Loehr <el...@austin.rr.com>.
clayton wrote:

> Ed Loehr wrote:
> >
> >I tried it without SSL, and the same problem remains:  httpd exits
> >silently after seemingly normal startup.  I'll try 1.5RC, axkit irc, and
> >debugging if I can't find a way around in my laziness.  Thanks.
>
> have you tried disabling expat compiltation into apache?
> as detailed here:
> http://axkit.org/faq.xml
> under "I install AxKit and Apache segfaults when it starts".

Yes, I tried on someone's suggestion earlier, but without success.
Axkit.org is still down (I think Matt Sergeant is still in the process of
relocating).  Thanks for your suggestion, though.  I do have a few
avenues to explore further.

Regards,

Posted by clayton <dr...@smartt.com>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Ed Loehr wrote:

> Robin Berjon wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried without SSL ? It sometimes conflicts with other modules.
> > Another search track would be to find out which module that AxKit pulls in
> > causes the crash (if any). You could also try out the 1.5 RC (which must be
> > called 1.4_9x and is probably on CPAN or mirrored somewhere), it's been quite
> > stable in my experience.
>
> I tried it without SSL, and the same problem remains:  httpd exits
> silently after seemingly normal startup.  I'll try 1.5RC, axkit irc, and
> debugging if I can't find a way around in my laziness.  Thanks.

Just to ensure that Apache was compiled without expat, does
    grep -i xml /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
match? Also, are all required modules, especially XS-based
ones like libapreq, compiled against the same mod_perl/apache
sources as AxKit was?

best regards,
randy kobes

Re: AxKit configuration question

Posted by Ed Loehr <el...@austin.rr.com>.

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
On Saturday 01 September 2001 08:02, Ed Loehr wrote:
> There's also a note (in AxKit 1.4 change log, I think) that says that
> problem is fixed in 1.4.  Also, from 'perldoc AxKit':
>
>        If you have a recent mod_perl and use mod_perl's
>        Makefile.PL DO_HTTPD=1 to compile Apache for you, this
>        option will be enabled automatically for you.
>
> Other clues?

It's supposed to, but sometimes apparently it doesn't (I haven't been able to
track down why, and it may be my fault).

Have you tried without SSL ? It sometimes conflicts with other modules.
Another search track would be to find out which module that AxKit pulls in
causes the crash (if any). You could also try out the 1.5 RC (which must be
called 1.4_9x and is probably on CPAN or mirrored somewhere), it's been quite
stable in my experience.

Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
Avoid clichés like the plague.

Re: AxKit configuration question

Posted by Ed Loehr <el...@austin.rr.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Ed Loehr wrote:
>
> > More data:  there is no core file created, and the mere presence of this
> > one line in my httpd.conf ...
> >
> >       PerlModule AxKit
> >
> > ...with no other AxKit directives anywhere, causes httpd to exit shortly
> > (< 1 sec) after starting.  I hacked AxKit.pm to verify it is loading, and
> > it is successfully completing it's BEGIN block.
>
> The AxKit FAQ (which unfortunately I don't think is reachable yet
> at http://www.axkit.org/) says that there could be some problems
> with Apache's default build with expat enabled and XML::Parser's
> version of expat. The recommendation is to recompile Apache
> with --disable-rule=expat. Does this work?

I don't think so, not the way I tried it, anyway...

cd $SSL_SRC_DIR/$MOD_PERL_DIST
perl Makefile.PL \
    USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 \
    DO_HTTPD=1 SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl \
    APACHE_PREFIX=$SSL_LOCAL_DIR \
    APACHE_SRC=../$APACHE_DIST/src \
    APACI_ARGS='--enable-module=ssl, \
                --enable-module=rewrite, \
                --enable-module=perl, \
                --disable-rule=expat'
(make && date && make test && date && make install && date) | tee
make.log
cd $SSL_SRC_DIR/$APACHE_DIST
make certificate TYPE=custom
make install

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Ed Loehr <el...@austin.rr.com>.
Ed Loehr wrote:

> I'm attempting to install AxKit 1.4 (and 10 or so other pre-requisite
> modules) on my modperl/modssl server, and I'm trying to get the
> ultra-basic AxKit manpage example to work ('perldoc AxKit').
>
> The first sign of trouble has arisen:  httpd silently exits immediately
> after startup once I add the specified AxKit configuration to my Apache
> config files, and I have not been able to find any logging whatsoever
> yet.  I can see it is successfully loading AxKit.pm, and producing
> seemingly all of the normal Apache log startup messages I usually see.
> It's just that when I go to the ps table, it is not there.  Does anyone
> have a clue to offer before I recompile with debugging on?
>
>   Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

More data:  there is no core file created, and the mere presence of this
one line in my httpd.conf ...

	PerlModule AxKit

...with no other AxKit directives anywhere, causes httpd to exit shortly
(< 1 sec) after starting.  I hacked AxKit.pm to verify it is loading, and
it is successfully completing it's BEGIN block.

Any clues?

Regards,
Ed Loehr

This is kernel 2.2.12-20smp.

# perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=linux, osvers=2.2.5-22smp, archname=i386-linux
    uname='linux porky.devel.redhat.com 2.2.5-22smp #1 smp wed jun 2
09:11:51 edt 1999 i686 unknown '
    usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cc', optimize='-O2', gccversion=egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
(egcs-1.1.2 release)
    cppflags='-Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include'
    ccflags ='-Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include'
    stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=undef, usevfork=false
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    alignbytes=4, usemymalloc=n, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
    libs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt
    libc=, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-rdynamic'
    cccdlflags='-fpic', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

  Built under linux
  Compiled at Aug 30 1999 23:09:51
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005

# httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix)
Server built:   Aug 31 2001 21:07:15
Server compiled with....
 -D EAPI
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache_ssl-2.8.4-1.3.20"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache_ssl-2.8.4-1.3.20/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="logs/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"