Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Magnus Lobenhofer <ma...@icloud.com> on 2018/05/03 14:59:09 UTC

Performance and keyboard layout

Hello everybody,

I have two concerns:

1. How can I speed up the image formation and the reaction speed?
Compared to Parallels Access the connection is much slower - sometimes unacceptable.
I use guacamole on a Raspberry Pi 2. This computer is obviously not overloaded. The "top" command during a guacamole session indicates that neither memory nor CPU has been exhausted.

If you want to help, here are a few dates for you:

client:
Windows 7

Guacamole server:
Raspberry Pi 2
Rasbian
Tomcat 8
Guacamole 0.9.14

Remote computer remotely operated:
Mac mini
RealVNC VNC Server 6.2.1

Raspberry and Mac Mini are in a 1GBit-LAN. The connection of this location has:
40Mbit / s upload
100MBit / s download

The connection of the remote client has 100Mbit / s synchronous.

„dmesg“ says:
https://pastebin.com/rkegwEkG

„top“ says:
https://pastebin.com/9Y3U0yvQ

user-mapping.xml:
https://pastebin.com/PwmNDeYn

2. How can I work with German keyboard layout?
I have the problem that I do not find the German keyboard layout from the client computer (German keyboard layout) on the remote computer.
With special characters and the key assignment I can not cope - probably English. The @ sign I think not at all, German special characters anyway.
If I switch on the client to the English key assignment, at least the QUERTZ occupancy is present - nevertheless I can not use special characters.
How can I solve this?

client:
Windows 7
German keyboard layout

Remote computer remotely operated:
Mac mini
RealVNC VNC Server 6.2.1
German keyboard layout

Greetings and thank you in advance!

Re: Performance and keyboard layout

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Thu, May 3, 2018, 07:59 Magnus Lobenhofer <ma...@icloud.com>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have two concerns:
>
> 1. How can I speed up the image formation and the reaction speed?
> I use guacamole on a Raspberry Pi 2. This computer is obviously not
> overloaded. The "top" command during a guacamole session indicates that
> neither memory nor CPU has been exhausted.
> Mac mini
> RealVNC VNC Server 6.2.1

If the Raspberry Pi 2 is not simply underpowered for this sort of workload
(sounds like it's fine seeing as you report neither CPU or memory is
appreciably used), I suspect this is due to the nature of VNC on a Mac.

I can't speak to RealVNC in particular, but all VNC servers that I have
used on a Mac have been unusably slow, regardless of the speed of the
network and regardless of the VNC client in use.

> 2. How can I work with German keyboard layout?

Things should work without any change in configuration. The client side of
Guacamole is independent of keyboard layout, as is VNC.

> I have the problem that I do not find the German keyboard layout from the
> client computer (German keyboard layout) on the remote computer.

Theoretocally, you shouldn't need to change any settings on the remote
computer. The remote side will not know that the client is using a German
layout, but the keys should still work as intended. Guacamole will forward
key events based on key identity, not key location. The VNC server should
perform any necessary translation. In fact ... the VNC standard requires
the server to do this.

- Mike