Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> on 2020/01/02 06:30:56 UTC

Q1 2020 Plan for Annotator

Hello, Annotator community.

Despite advance warning, I failed to get a board report together for
January as I've been busy with holidays and life changes. We will have to
report next month.

I don't think it's fair, at this point, to continue incubating without
making a release and I'd like us to commit to doing so in January.

I aim to put up a PR by Monday that has a simplistic and undoubtedly
deficient API for constructing "an annotator". We have a couple individual
selector implementations, but no way to "assemble" them, and I think that
is the sort of solution-oriented API that really holds users back from
getting value from the project. I have a pretty open schedule the next
several days, and some drafts in my local branches and stashes, and I'll
aim to put up such a PR by Monday.

Thank you all for being here. I hope to see us finally get our collective
momentum and enthusiasm together into working code this year.

Happy new year,
Randall

Re: Q1 2020 Plan for Annotator

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Thanks for this note, Randall! I'm looking forward to that PR. ;)

I'm also eager to make sure we reach a new level of participation and activity in this first quarter of the year.

My personal targets include:
 - improving our promotion of Apache Annotator
 - getting our logo online!!
 - reaching out to other annotation folks/communities and getting their input/requests
 - setting some key demo code targets--like annotating across DOM boundaries
 - starting a JavaScript-based Web Annotation Protocol server as a "reference implementation"

I'd love to also hear from others about what they hope to see (or contribute!) here in Q1 2020!

Cheers,
Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/