Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org> on 2006/11/09 22:10:45 UTC

MAILLOG

I hope I don't get bashed as it seems like this should be common knowledge,
but with the significant increase in spam I need to PROVE to management that
SA is still doing a good job- (and that I'm doing mine)

I see that spamstats  as well as sa-stats both read/process/parse/examine
only maillog files I do not have a maillog file.
How does one create a functioning maillog  and have it record the appropriate
info for retrieving stats?

My setup is as follows

BSD 5.4
EXIM
CLAMAV
SPAMASSASSIN

Currently the logs I have to record mail activity and spam data are

Mainlog
Rejectlog
Paniclog

Jean-Paul Natola
Network Administrator
Information Technology
Family Care International
588 Broadway Suite 503
New York, NY 10012
Phone:212-941-5300 xt 36
Fax:  212-941-5563
Mailto: Jnatola@Familycareintl.org

Re: MAILLOG

Posted by neil <ne...@supanet.net.uk>.
Hi;
 Or even...

eximstats -ne -nr -nt -tnl -t30 -t_remote_users  \
 -pattern 'Total Mails REJECTED              ' '/DENIED/' \
 -pattern ' Blacklist Spamhaus               ' '/www.spamhaus.org/' \
<blah etc>
-html exim_mainlog.01 >stats.html

(Can you spot the deliberate error in my previous posting  :)

rgds

Re: MAILLOG

Posted by neil <ne...@supanet.net.uk>.
Hi;

RE: MAILLOG

Posted by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org>.

Jean-Paul Natola
Network Administrator
Information Technology
Family Care International
588 Broadway Suite 503
New York, NY 10012
Phone:212-941-5300 xt 36
Fax:  212-941-5563
> I hope I don't get bashed as it seems like this should be common knowledge,
> but with the significant increase in spam I need to PROVE to management
that
> SA is still doing a good job- (and that I'm doing mine)

Turn it off for an hour?  <g>

If you divert spam on a per-account basis to individual spam folders,
hack up a quick script to count messages in the spam folder, and send
that data (broken down by day, maybe) along with "How many times have
you had a legitimate message go missing?" or "How many spams do you see
in your inbox?".

> I see that spamstats  as well as sa-stats both read/process/parse/examine
> only maillog files I do not have a maillog file.
> How does one create a functioning maillog  and have it record the
appropriate
> info for retrieving stats?
>
> My setup is as follows
>
> BSD 5.4
> EXIM
> CLAMAV
> SPAMASSASSIN
>
> Currently the logs I have to record mail activity and spam data are
>
> Mainlog
> Rejectlog
> Paniclog

Those appear to be Exim-specific logs (handled via its own internal
logger?)  If not, colour me clueless.

SA logs via the "mail" facility of syslog (IIRC - I don't think this has
changed except in the details of *what* is logged in quite some time).
Check your syslog configuration to see where mail.* syslog messages get
stored.

-kgd

I neglected to mention that i use my box only as a filter ,  once the mail
"passes inspection" so to speak, it passses it over to my excange box, there
are no mailboxes on the BSD box itslef.

I will look into my syslog  and see what I can find.

Re: MAILLOG

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.