Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Dippold <mi...@dippold.com> on 2005/12/22 19:57:16 UTC

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

We are using tomcat 5.5.12 and every couple days the tomcat server goes down hard and the last line in the log is:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

It appears to only happen if we:
Update jsp pages
Reload Webapp
Deploy Webapp

If we do not do any of the following the server runs great with no problems which makes me wonder if it has to do with our application or tomcat.  We are planning on restarting tomcat each night for now, but we do not want to do that if we shouldnt have to.

Please Advise.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Mike,

> We are using tomcat 5.5.12 and every couple days the tomcat server
> goes down hard and the last line in the log is:
>
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> It appears to only happen if we:
> Update jsp pages
> Reload Webapp
> Deploy Webapp
>
> If we do not do any of the following the server runs great with no
> problems which makes me wonder if it has to do with our application
> or tomcat.  We are planning on restarting tomcat each night for
> now, but we do not want to do that if we shouldnt have to.

This is exactly the problem we kept experiencing, only ours was after
4 -5 hours of heavy use.  We have a very large webapp with well over
200 complex pages.  However, we were able to address this by using
the following configuration:

-server -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewRatio=16

We have 3 gigabytes of RAM, but were were still getting out of memory
errors.  The key setting, "-XX:NewRatio=16" was the trick.  This is
the ratio allocation between 'perm' and 'eden' memory.  The default
value is 8.  Raising this value gives more memory to the perm
memory.  Also note, that raising the MaxPermSize to 128m helped for a
while, but eventually we got an out of memory error.

We have struggled with correct allocations and continue to tweak our
settings.  I  hope this is helpful.

Stephen Caine
CommonGround Softworks, Inc.