Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/09 10:56:04 UTC

Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

On 8 April 2016 at 22:40, Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Philippe> The idea was interesting because it makes things rather simple.
>
> What if we take a step back and consider some kind of "JMeter Plugin Market"?

This is tangential to the subject at hand.

> For instance:
> 1) Search & install plugins from within JMeter UI

-1; that would add unnecessary classes to memory.

However it could be stand-alone.

Though I'm not sure how much work it would save compared with the
effort of creating and maintaining it. That sounds like a good 3rd
party project; it seems OT for JMeter.

> 2) If loading a test plan that references not yet installed plugins,
> JMeter would be able to suggest installing the required ones

JMeter only knows what classes the test plan cannot find.
Who is going to maintain the database of plugin locations and their classes?
Who is going to vet the plugins?

However it might be possible to improve the error messages that are
produced when test classes cannot be found.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, April 9, 2016, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 April 2016 at 19:11, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 9, 2016, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 8 April 2016 at 22:40, Vladimir Sitnikov <
> sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com <javascript:;>
> simple.

> >> Market"?
> >>
> >> This is tangential to the subject at hand.
> >
> > I find the idea great.
> > Eclise, jira, jenkins do that
> > But it is some piece of work, yes.
> >
> > I think the client part should be defined by the core project to allow :
> > - local installation
> > - installation from remote servers
> >
> > This will enable a more independant mechanism.

> >> -1; that would add unnecessary classes to memory.
> >>
> >> However it could be stand-alone.
> >

> > Eclipse does it, jconsole also.
> > The additional classes footprint is imho not a valid counter argument.
>
> They don't care so much about memory footprint as they are not benchmark
> utils.

it is not a problem, one can install and restart tool before load testing.
Anyway do you have numbers showing that classloading has important impact
knowing that classes are loaded on demand.
Things have hugely improved and currently permgen (if jdk7) is very low in
jmeter so we have space.

> > Standalone tool is again another tool so -1 for me.
>
> That is not a valid argument

it is valid in my opinion. Another tool means another docs, more things to
know while it can be in the help menu and easy to use.
It also means more work and packaging for us.

> > I prefer it in core tool.
>
> -1.
>
> There's no particular reason to have it in the core tool

it's only your opinion. Let's see what other think.
If we don't put it in core, then it mean a third party project will create
it and control the market and way to embed plugins.
I am against this.

> >> Though I'm not sure how much work it would save compared with the
> >> effort of creating and maintaining it. That sounds like a good 3rd
> >> party project; it seems OT for JMeter.
> >

> > As I wrote before client part should be Core.
>
> Why, apart from not wanting a separate tool?

for ease of use, additional work it incurs for us.

> >> JMeter only knows what classes the test plan cannot find.
> >> Who is going to maintain the database of plugin locations and their
> >> classes?
> >> Who is going to vet the plugins?
> >

> > Let's think about a mechanism before stopping everything.
>
> Let's not discuss this at all further until after 3.0 otherwise it
> will delay the release.

of course this discussion is about 3.1 or 4.0

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Philippe>I know work on 3.0 is finished and milamber proposed to
be rm right ?

Sorry, I must have missed that.

Philippe>But if you want we can discuss later after 3.0

Anytime works for me provided it does not delay 3.0.

sebb>They don't care so much about memory footprint as they are not
benchmark utils.

I agree it is important to keep memory footprint sane, however I'm
sure it can easily be done negligible.

sebb> There's no particular reason to have it in the core tool.

You have no second chance to make the first impression.
Suppose a new user installs JMeter. How would (s)he know which plugins
are required?

Let me exaggerate to make the point more clear: "in order to install
JMeter you need to download ant, then perform svn checkout ..., then
ant download_jars, then ant install, then find JMeter Plugins in
Google, ..."

Not having out-of-the-box market makes first-time experience not that smooth.
Remember that typical JMeter users are not java programmers. They have
no-to-very little idea what the jar file is.
Of course, I've made that up, however I do believe that vision is right.

Having thought a bit more, I think jmeter-wrapper (named after "gradle
wrapper", though not using gradle in any way) script might be useful
as well (to have reproducible environment).
I mean the following:
1) User (or JMeter) creates a file with text description of exact
JMeter version and the versions of installed plugins. For instance:
jmeter-installation-versions.xml
2) If someone wants to reproduce exactly the same JMeter installation,
he picks that jmeter-installation-versions.xml
 and executes "./jmeter-wrapper".
3) The wrapper script downloads proper JMeter and plugins versions.

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
Yes, you can keep discussing the idea of plugins market as part of the
core, that's not an issue. Users would benefit from having it as part of
the core.

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial plugin hoster". Most of the
plugins are downloaded from maven repositories. The plugins list is
downloaded from jmeter-plugins.org which is open source and non-commercial.

I've chosen the way of implementing it rather than discussing because
some things are so obvious that they need no discussion. It is still not
too late to share your feedback, because it is in beta testing stage.
For example, following your feedback I've removed the "BlazeMeter Set"...

Andrey Pokhilko

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 9. April 2016 22:26:35 MESZ, schrieb Milamber <mi...@apache.org>:

>On 09/04/2016 21:12, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
>> On Saturday, April 9, 2016, Vladimir Sitnikov
><si...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Philippe>are you speaking about the plugin market or unknown element
>?
>>>
>>> I like the idea of sebb: release 3.0, then discuss other subjects of
>>> matter.
>>>
>>> Does that work?
>>
>> yes but as far as I know work on 3.0 is finished and milamber
>proposed to
>> be rm right ?
>
>Yes, if the PMC team are ok to start the RC1 process for 3.0, I can act
>
>as RM.
>
>I think too that the 3.0 is ready to release.

I think it is ready, too.

Felix

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Plugin market? (was: 3rd party jars - current and proposed)

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.