Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/08/15 03:50:00 UTC

Re: config/2857: VirtualHosts and NameVirtualHost does not work as documented.

The following reply was made to PR config/2857; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: config/2857: VirtualHosts and NameVirtualHost does not
 work as documented.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:42:10 -0700 (PDT)

 On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

 > At 06:06 PM 8/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
 > >So you have one and only one virtualhost in your configuration?
 > >
 > >As documented, if you have one virtualhost and a NameVirtualHost directive
 > >for that IP that virtualhost will get _all_ connections to that IP.
 > [ ... ]
 >
 > I've tried with and without this directive.  Same behavior is seen.
 >
 > >Yet you say that isn't what you are seeing, yet you also say that "the
 > >server will assume the identity of the virtualhost directive".  I don't
 > >see how those two things can fit.
 > [ ... ]
 >
 > Right, it doesn't make sense.  But this is what is happening.

 Sigh.  No, according to what you are now telling me, the main server
 isn't being used at all for an IP designated as a NameVirtualHost.
 This is the exact thing you told me you _weren't_ seeing, but that is
 exactly what you are seeing.

 And, as I have said three times now, it is supposed to work that way.
 Please go through the docs and examples again.  If you specify a
 NameVirtualHost directive then THE MAIN SERVER CONFIGURATION ISN'T
 USED, ONLY VIRTUALHOSTS ARE USED FOR THAT IP.