Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2008/10/02 18:49:30 UTC

Release manager for 2.1.3 and/or 2.0.9.....

We're rappidly approaching time to do the 2.0.9 and 2.1.3 releases.
It's been about 10 week since 2.0.9 and 7 weeks since 2.1.2.   We have
33 issues resolved for 2.0.9, and 38 for 2.1.3.   Thus, we probably
should consider doing some releases shortly.

HOWEVER, my hard drive crashed this week and part of recovering from
that, I kind of realized that someone else really should try doing a
release to make sure the knowledge is spread out a bit and isn't all
bottled up in my head.    Thus, I'd like to ask for volunteers for doing
the releases.   If no one jumps up, I'll be happy to do it, but it would
definitely be good to get someone else involved.

Requirements:
1) The release process is MUCH easier and more reliable on a Linux or OSX
box.   Things like gpg and ssh/scp "just work".  If someone want to try
Windows, I'm not sure how much I can help.

2) gpg installed and a gpg key generated and available in the public key
servers.   Ideally, it would be signed by other apache folks, but that's
not a requirment.  Anyone near Boston, we could meet for lunch and sign
keys if you want.

3) Time - before building the release, you need a few hours to review
release notes, notice/license files, rat reports, etc....   Post
release, there is syncing to the maven repo, updating confluence, some
JIRA admin things, etc....   Basically, a few hours ahead of the build,
an hour to build, three days for the vote, and a few hours afterword.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, speak up.  I'd be happy to look over
your virtual shoulder while you do the stuff to make sure it's all done
right.   Not a problem.

Thanks!

--
J. Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Release manager for 2.1.3 and/or 2.0.9.....

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Can you list the cases in which the patches could change the old JMS
transport behavior?
Maybe we should add some wiki page for the upgrading of user.

Regards,

Willem

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Willem,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Dan,

--

Christian Schneider
---

Re: Release manager for 2.1.3 and/or 2.0.9.....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Willem,

Any chance you still talk to Bo Lin?   Maybe take him out for a beer or
something and do a quick key signing.

Actually, you could do the same with Freeman as well.  His key is signed
by Bo which is signed by me and others.

Dan

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.
You need a secure means of exchanging keys.  In general email is not a
trustworthy mechanism, as it is clearly tamperable.  A phone call is
marginally better.  Though given the current news about skype, I'd
think twice about that, too ;)

Of course, you might even say face-to-face is not secure, but I think
we all agree that Descartes convinced us sufficiently (the invalidity
of his logic, notwithstanding) that we ain't brains in vats!

Of course, you could also reason, "Who cares?", in which case this
whole signing business is just silly.

-Fred

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

I just deployed a new snapshot of CXF 2.0.9 according the wiki page for
testing my box's ssh and scp setting.
Every thing is working, I am ready for cutting CXF 2.0.9 this week :)

Willem

>>> dkulp@apache.org

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I can't find the serializer.jar in 2.0.9 SNAPSHOT, but I found it in
2.1.3 SNAPSHOT.
After went through the commit log , I found there is one different between

rt/ws/security/pom.xml in 2.0.x and 2.1.x ,

the xalan's dependency scope is runtime in 2.0.x, and uses the default compile scope in 2.1.x.

  <dependency>
             <groupId>xalan</groupId>
             <artifactId>xalan</artifactId>
-            <version>2.7.0</version>
+            <version>2.7.1</version>
             *<scope>runtime</scope>*
             <exclusions>
-              <exclusion>
-                <groupId>xml-apis</groupId>
-                <artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>
-              </exclusion>
+                <exclusion>
+                    <groupId>xml-apis</groupId>
+                    <artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>
+                </exclusion>
             </exclusions>
         </dependency>

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Release manager for 2.1.3 and/or 2.0.9.....

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

>>> dkulp@apache.org

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Willem,