Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/19 16:30:21 UTC

[HEADS UP] - Compiling components now include validation of you included documentation

Hi

I am putting some final touches on a maven goal that is enabled by
default as part of building the Camel source code / components. The
goal validates that you have been a good person and include
documentation for all the component and endpoint options, include some
description what the component does, and added a label to categorize
the component, and so on.

This is possible because every component now includes full out of the
box documentation for all their options (only salesforce is pending).

The aim is to ensure we document all the options in the future and
that the docs stay up to date. We have frankly to many components that
get out of sync with the wiki pages.

Bonus goals is that we will be able to generate parts of the component
documentation in the future to keep it automatic up to date, and much
more.

But I just wanted to bring attention to this new validation goal. If
you omit some documentation etc the goal reports what the error is,
and which options you need to document.

And for documentation, its just javadoc on the setter (or getter, but
we favor the setter).

PS: I will push the code changes later when I have run a full build of
the code to ensure they all pass the validation.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [HEADS UP] - Compiling components now include validation of you included documentation

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Den lørdag den 20. juni 2015 skrev Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>:

> Yay! How can I enable this check? Via Maven profile? Something similar to
> -PsourceCheck?

See the pom in the components dir. Its a plugin that does it ad part of
packaging

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve973 <st...@gmail.com>.
Claus,

That is an excellent requirement.  Bravo!

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.

Am 22.06.15 10:25 schrieb "Claus Ibsen" unter <cl...@gmail.com>:

>Hi
>
>Ah doh syntax is only for kind = component.
>If you fancy then you can fix that in the maven plugin source code, to
>only check if "component".equals(kind)

Done.

Babak

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Babak

<ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> Awesome!
>
> I noticed a typo on the following line (2 x missingDescription instead of
> missingSyntax):
>
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/tooling/maven/camel-package-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/maven/packaging/ErrorDetail.java#L34
>
> And currently while building I get the following error on camel-twitter:
>
> [WARNING] The component: twitter has validation errors
> [WARNING] Missing endpoint documentation for the following options:
>         block
>         timeout
>         failIfNoConsumers
>
> But I failed to find the 3 options above inside it's source.
>
> Babak
>
> Claus Ibsen-2 wrote
>> Hi
>>
>> I am putting some final touches on a maven goal that is enabled by
>> default as part of building the Camel source code / components. The
>> goal validates that you have been a good person and include
>> documentation for all the component and endpoint options, include some
>> description what the component does, and added a label to categorize
>> the component, and so on.
>>
>> This is possible because every component now includes full out of the
>> box documentation for all their options (only salesforce is pending).
>>
>> The aim is to ensure we document all the options in the future and
>> that the docs stay up to date. We have frankly to many components that
>> get out of sync with the wiki pages.
>>
>> Bonus goals is that we will be able to generate parts of the component
>> documentation in the future to keep it automatic up to date, and much
>> more.
>>
>> But I just wanted to bring attention to this new validation goal. If
>> you omit some documentation etc the goal reports what the error is,
>> and which options you need to document.
>>
>> And for documentation, its just javadoc on the setter (or getter, but
>> we favor the setter).
>>

>> PS: I will push the code changes later when I have run a full build of
>> the code to ensure they all pass the validation.
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> Red Hat, Inc.