Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/14 22:32:17 UTC

[LEGAL] Products with "Struts" in their names

Without furhter ado: I called my library "Struts Dialogs" meaning
"Dialogs for Struts". On the one hand, the library is not part of
Struts (yet, but I hope it will be sometime) and is not endorsed by
Struts or Apache. On another hand, I admit that having "Struts" in the
name does provide some additional weight and presence.

Why am I asking? When Struts-Layout project was announced on TSS, some
were outraged that the project had nothing with Apache, and even had
more restrictive license. So, I am kind of hesitant to announce my
stuff ;)

So, here are the questions:
* whom should I ask to approve "Struts Dialogs" usage as my project's name?
* If this is not approved, can I change it to "Dialogs for Struts" or
I would need to throw out "Struts" from the name altogether?
* The license for my lib has Apache 2.0 type, does this help?
* Who and how can formally grant me this right or formally prohibit from it?

There are quite a few projects, like Struts Workflow Extension, Struts
Flow, Struts Resume and others. Did their authors get formal approval
from Apache?

Michael.

Re: [LEGAL] Products with "Struts" in their names

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
Good questions. Unfortunately, I don't know the answers, except to say
that I have my doubts that the other projects asked for permission to
use the name.

The right place for these questions would be the ASF Public Relations
Committee, which you can reach by sending mail to prc@apache.org.

Thanks for asking!

--
Martin Cooper