Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Eisner <cr...@Glue.umd.edu> on 2000/04/19 00:06:42 UTC

Installation Questions

Hi.  I'm trying to get Apache Server + Apache JServ + Tomcat working, and I'm
finding the documentation a bit confusing.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) I downloaded the latest version of Apache (1.3.12), compiled and installed
   it.  No problem.

2) Next, I downloaded the latest version of Apache JServ (1.1).  Looking
   at the included INSTALL file, I'm told that one of the requirements is:

        Java Servlet Development Kit 2.0:

        The Sun Java JSDK 2.0 is required by Apache JServ for proper servlet
        execution.  This package is freely available from the Sun Java web
        site:

        <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/index.html>
        <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html>

        NOTE: this version of Apache JServ requires _EXACTLY_ the 2.0
        version of the JSDK in order to operate properly. Any other version
        (past, present or future and including the version that comes
        with the Java Server Pages (JSP) jar file) is not supported.

   So, before I can continue, I need to get the JSDK 2.0 . . .

3) Went to http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/index.html, and go to
   the download section.  The only entry in the downloads section is
   for Tomcat 3.0 release build.  I follow the link, which takes me to:

4) http://jakarta.apache.org/downloads/binindex.html, where I'm told
   that I should get a Release Build ("as good as it gets!" ).  Under
   Release Builds, I see that Tomcat 3.1 Beta is the newest (and the only
   listed) release quality Tomcat build.  Ok, so I follow the
   "Tomcat 3.1 Beta" link to:

5) http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1_beta_1/bin/,
   and I download jakarta-tomcat.tar.gz, tar xvzf, look at the docs,
   and see "Tomcat+Apache HOWTO".  Ah, just what I'm looking for.

6) Here's where the confusion starts.   This document describes
   Tomcat 3.0.  Why does a release build have documentation for a former
   version?  Anyway, I'm told:

  	* Download mod_jserv for your platform from

         http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.0/<os>/<platform> \
	 /modules

   But http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.0/ is empty.

So where do I go from here?  JServ 1.1 tells me it needs a 2.0 version
of the JSDK "_EXACTLY_", but the available versions of Tomcat support
the 2.2 version of the spec, correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Also, either I'm not too
bright (possible), or other newbies dillegently following the documentation
will be equally confused.

Thanks!

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle@eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

Re: Installation Questions

Posted by Michael Sundell <ms...@ca-coast.com>.
Hi David,

As I understand it, you do NOT run jserv with Tomcat. Tomcat replaces jserv.

I am running Apache 1.2.12 on Red Hat 6.2 and everything seems to work fine.

The following link is most helpful
http://www.geocities.com/stevekang.geo/linux/install_tomcat.html

and you also have the Tomcat users guide at
http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/jakarta-tomcat/src
/doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html

To be able to compile servlets on my linux box I also had to move the
servlet.jar file to
<path>jdk/jre/lib/ext/
This seems to be how you solve this problem for JDK 1.2.x

I hope this helps.

Michael Sundell