Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2011/05/10 16:00:03 UTC

Re: Current use of GitHub

On 15/04/11 07:52, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Since the git mirrors are available at the ASF, I'm now exclusively
> using git-svn
> unless I need to do a release in which case
> I need to revert back to svn for maven to be able to do the release.
> For branches and patches, it's easy to add remote a git remote repository to
> your local repo pointing to a fork, so that you can cherry-pick or merge from a
> fork on github and then svn dcommit into the svn tree at the ASF.
> Git really consider the git-svn branch as a real branch, so there's no
> problem here.
>
> Also, in Karaf for example, we're maintaining bug fix branches.  Those
> are stored
> in svn as real branches, but also available in git-svn as git branches, so that
> cherry-picking and backporting fixes is way easier than using pure svn.
>
> However, not having a pure git master repository has some limitations,
> mostly the fact
> that we can't really use a branch-per-bug workflow such as the one described at
>      http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
> Being able to support that would be a big win for us.

the MRUnit test tool -moved from Hadoop/contrib to incubation- are
interested in using Git if it were hosted locally, as a precursor to
seeing how well it works for Hadoop development in general, initially
for code (and letting reviewers merge in branches published to github),
playing with Gerrit as and when its possible.

Is there any experimental git "repository" in apache they could start with?