Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arian Hojat <ar...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/11 23:07:34 UTC

batiks ttf2svg on tomcat (running via code rather than command line)

hello guy....
i want to allow the user to upload a ttf which i can do. now i want to
run in a servlet the ttf2svg utility. not sure how to run this in a
java servlet (not sure if somehow command line can be used in a
servlet but security might be an issue for users). is there another
option. bascially i allow the user to upload their 'cool' fonts and
use them to draw text with the glyphs svg provides by converting from
ttf to a system independant format...

Also if there is an easier option... such as just uploading the ttf to
the current directory/directory batik looks for fonts, and using the
font name (in qoutes?) in the svg, and then deleting the ttf when i am
done writing my image... can this be done and works both on windows
and unix (nice cause no xml parsing for me if possible)?

I usually get the same 2-3 people who answer batik questions so i will
thank in advance those batik enthusiasts for helping the commmunity
for all their work. :). Are you guys batik/svg developers?

Thanx,
Arian Hojat

Re: batiks ttf2svg on tomcat (running via code rather than command line)

Posted by Måns Rullgård <mr...@inprovide.com>.
Arian Hojat <ar...@gmail.com> writes:

> hello guy....
> i want to allow the user to upload a ttf which i can do. now i want to
> run in a servlet the ttf2svg utility. not sure how to run this in a
> java servlet (not sure if somehow command line can be used in a
> servlet but security might be an issue for users).

Runtime.exec() works in a default configuration, but yours might have
stricter security settings.

> is there another option. bascially i allow the user to upload their
> 'cool' fonts and use them to draw text with the glyphs svg provides
> by converting from ttf to a system independant format...
>
> Also if there is an easier option... such as just uploading the ttf to
> the current directory/directory batik looks for fonts, and using the
> font name (in qoutes?) in the svg, and then deleting the ttf when i am
> done writing my image... can this be done and works both on windows
> and unix (nice cause no xml parsing for me if possible)?

Using truetype fonts from batik is certainly possible.  One was is
using a @font-face CSS section.  There may be others.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com