Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2010/02/01 19:36:41 UTC

Re: ace-target-devgateway up and running!

Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hello JB,
>
> Thanks for confirming! I've started working on the server. As a first step I added all the dependencies to the pom.xml in ace-target-devserver. I did not commit yet, because I'm getting some validation messages:
>
> Project ID: org.apache.ace:ace-target-devserver
> POM Location: /Users/marcel/dev/ace/ace-target-devserver/pom.xml
> Validation Messages:
>
>     [0]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.felix:org.apache.felix.main:jar
>     [1]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.felix:org.apache.felix.prefs:jar
>     [2]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.felix:org.apache.felix.shell:jar
>     [3]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.felix:org.apache.felix.shell.tui:jar
>     [4]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.knopflerfish:bundle-useradmin:jar
>     [5]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.knopflerfish:log:jar
>     [6]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.ops4j:pax-web-extender-war:jar
>     [7]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.ops4j:pax-web-service:jar
>

> Reason: Failed to validate POM for project org.apache.ace:ace-target-devserver at /Users/marcel/dev/ace/ace-target-devserver/pom.xml
>
> Looking at for example the first message, the code I have in the pom is:
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
>             <artifactId>org.apache.felix.main</artifactId>
>             <scope>provided</scope>
>         </dependency>
>
> Does maven mean it's missing a <version> tag here? If so, why is it only complaining about that for some dependencies (most of them don't contain one, which is also the case for he now working devgateway target).

Yes, it means the version is missing.

I'm not a maven expert, but I think there are several possible reasons
why this happens only to some artifacts:
- a parent pom defines a version
- a referenced pom defines a version
- you already have downloaded that artifact and maven has noted (don't
know how) that a specific version is the latest.

To keep it short :) - we should always specify a version for a
dependency - either directly in the pom or in a dependency managemenet
section of a parent pom.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler