Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <ra...@aspiresys.com> on 2010/03/30 14:18:30 UTC

Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Hi,

How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM  P series box
running with RHEL 5.

I see rpms available
only for tomacat 5.x.

Environment:

Machine: IBM P series
OS:RHEL 5.0
Java version: Java 1.6

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ratnavel.

Re: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Posted by Partha Goswami <pa...@gmail.com>.
1st need to define JAVA_HOME , and better u download tomcat from tomcat
website. then confugure it & Run it.

--
Regards

Partha Goswami

RE: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Harry Metske [mailto:harry.metske@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box
> running with RHEL 5
>
> Chuck, a bit off-topic, but since we might have to choose the next few
> months which JVM to use on Intel/Linux, I am interested in why you
> think the OpenJDK is "pretty awful" ?

Read the message again; I said OpenJDK is probably ok, and that the GNU JVM is pretty awful.  Search the archives for the numerous reports of any serious application (such as Tomcat) failing miserably on the GNU JVM, but working fine on a real JVM.

OpenJDK is (or at least was) pretty much the same as the Sun HotSpot JVM, but with some packages replaced or omitted due to licensing issues.

 - Chuck

Re: Fwd: How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM P series box running with RHEL 5

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Chuck, a bit off-topic, but since we might have to choose the next few
months which JVM to use on Intel/Linux, I am interested in why you think the
OpenJDK is "pretty awful" ?

regards,
Harry

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Ratnavel Sundaramurthi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to install tomcat 6.0.X in IBM  P series box
> running with RHEL 5.
>
> I see rpms available
> only for tomacat 5.x.
>
> Environment:
>
> Machine: IBM P series
> OS:RHEL 5.0
> Java version: Java 1.6
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Hi.

1) If you want a "package" usable with the RedHat package management
tools, then you are stuck with whatever versions RedHat makes available
for your version of RHEL.
(And they are always a few versions behind the latest available Tomcat).

2) Otherwise, you can download the latest Tomcat version from the
official Tomcat website at http://tomcat.apache.org, and install it
following the instructions found on that same website.
(And you should anyway first install a reasonable Java JVM 1.6 before
Tomcat; usually people here do not consider the OpenJDK JVM as
reasonable for Tomcat).

The advantage of option (2) is that you have the latest bestest Tomcat,
and that it will be easier for people on this forum to help you with it,
because it installs Tomcat and Tomcat files is a known location and
configuration.
A disadvantage of option (2) may be that your sysadmins will probably
not support it, as it is not the "official RHEL version" which they know
and love.
Another disadvantage, is that you will probably have to create yourself
the system startup/stop scripts for your Tomcat server, if you intend to
run it as a daemon.

A disadvantage of option (1), is that these packages usually put the
Tomcat files all over the place, with millions of symlinks to tie it all
together again.  So if you have a problem, it is more difficult for
people here to figure out what happens.  But then of course there is
always the RedHat hotline..

My own subjective (but practical) recommendation :

If you are knowledgeable about your OS, system startup scripts etc..,
then use the latest version from the Tomcat website.
(Tomcat by itself is not complicated to install and run, but it is these
surrounding system aspects that will give you work).

If not, then use the RedHat packaged version if you can live with it,
because it will install out of the box.