Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/01 07:38:51 UTC

Re: [MATH] Matrix indices

--- Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> wrote:
> >> If we have not succeeded in keeping things simple, we are certainly
> >> open to improving documentation and / or providing wrappers or
> >> simplified interfaces.  If you have specific examples / suggestions
> >> for improvement, please share these.  We want to make the package as
> >> easy to use a possible, while still maintaining extensibility.
> >

> > Well, I have indicated several things already, but all of them are put
> > aside as "standard notation" or related arguments....
>
> Nothing has been "put aside."  We make decisions by consensus.  You have
> provided input and we are considering it.  To make sure I have it all
> right, you have proposed four changes:
>
> 1) Change the RealMatrix getEntry, getRow, getColumn methods to use
> 0-based indexing.
>
> 2) Change the name of "BivariateRegression" to "UnivariateRegression" (or
> something else)
>
> 3) Change Variance to be configurable to generate the population statistic.
>
> 4) Combine the univariate and multivariate packages, since it is confusing
> to separate statistics that focus on one variable and sometimes the word
> "univariate" is used in the context of multivariate techniques (e.g.
> "Univariate Anova").
>
> My personal opinion is that none of these changes should be implemented,
> but if consensus is that we should stop the release and make these
> changes, then we will do that.  In the case of 3), I would strongly
> suggest that if we really see this as necessary, we add a new statistic
> (as we will with remedian) instead of trying to force one univariate to
> compute two statistics (which runs counter to the design of the package).
>
> Did I capture your suggestions correctly?  Is there anything else that you
> find confusing or hard to use?
>
> Thanks again for your feedback.
>
> It would be great if other [math] committers could weigh in with simple
> yes / no on each of the proposed changes above so that we can move forward
> with the release.

Here are my votes on the above:

1) -1, keeping in mind that that's my personal bias; if real-world usage of
commons-math is mostly done by Java programmers who expect 0-based indexing and
they want it, then I am +1 for this change.
2) -0
3) +0
4) +0

Al

Re: [MATH] Matrix indices

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
From: "Al Chou" <ho...@yahoo.com>
> > 1) Change the RealMatrix getEntry, getRow, getColumn methods to use
> > 0-based indexing.

FWIW, if I were using this class, I would expect it to be 0-based.

I can't comment on the other points as I don't hav the maths background. (If
I needed one, I would probably search for it or ask, thus the name is less
interesting to me)

Sorry for the late input.

Stephen