Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by kingkong <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/09 22:02:26 UTC

Maximum File Size Handled by post.jar / Speed of Deletes?

Hi,

We would like to know is there a maximum size of a xml file that can be
posted to Solr using the post.jar, maximum number of docs, etc. at one time
as well as how fast deletes can be achieved.

Our goal is to delete "all documents" belonging to a "given user" then add
all the docs again with the updated data. Since we don't have an easy way to
determine which docs got updated, a full delete and a new add is the only
way at the moment.

The question is if Solr or post.jar can handle say 50mb file or 100mb and
25k-100k docs being posted at one time?  If not, is there a solution to
handling large posts?

Thank you.

Re: Maximum File Size Handled by post.jar / Speed of Deletes?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: We would like to know is there a maximum size of a xml file that can be
: posted to Solr using the post.jar, maximum number of docs, etc. at one time
: as well as how fast deletes can be achieved.

post.jar is provided purely as an extremeley trivial tool for
beginers to use to manual post arbitrary files to Solr while reading
the tutorial and first getting started with Solr.

It is not intended to be a production tool for use in "production systems"
for doing automated and/or programatic loading of data.  (if "curl"
existed ubiquitiously on every computer in the world capable of running
java, post.jar would never have been created)

If you want to have custom tools that talk to solr for loading/deleting
docs, use whatever Solr client or HTTP library you are comfortable with in
whatever programming language you are already using.  If you are using
Java please look at the SolrJ client library.

-Hoss