Posted to community@apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/11/05 22:26:28 UTC

Mailing from apache email address

Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP. From the headers on mails from
this and other apache lists, it looks like some folks are just modifying
the headers.  I can set up my local sendmail to push psteitz@apache.org;
but that seems bogus to me.  Even when I send from minotaur, the headers
don't look right.  Can someone give me a clue?  What do other people do?
Is there a doc on this somewhere?

Phil

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
How about setting up SMTP AUTH over TLS? This is pretty simple (at least
with sendmail) and you don't need to fiddle with SSH for sending mail.

Don't we have a full fledged Java based mail server in the ASF? ;-)
(ducks, runs)

	Regards
		Henning

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 23:25, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Joshua and Joerg said you can just send mail as whomever you like through
> your local SMTP relay; and while that's usually true, some conservative
> sysadmins will only allow relaying through of mail claiming to be from a
> particular sender domain; furthermore it's becoming more common for port
> 25 outgoing to be filtered when coming from "untrusted" networks.
>
> Therefore, you have one other option involving SSH, but allowing you to
> use your local mail client.  Minotaur.apache.org is configured to allow
> SMTP relaying via the localhost interface.  So what you do is set up an
> SSH tunnel that connects your own localhost port X (X can be any value
> above 1024) to minotaur's localhost port 25; then in your mail client
> configuration, you set your SMTP server to be "localhost", port X.  When
> you send a message, your mail client will connect to localhost:X, relayed
> over your SSH connection to localhost:25 on minotaur.  I do this, though
> not with apache.org's server.
>
> In a similar way, you can use the POP service that runs on minotaur's
> localhost interface.  Tunnel to localhost:110.
>
> 	Brian
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
> > stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
> > my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
> > using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
> > connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP. From the headers on mails from
> > this and other apache lists, it looks like some folks are just modifying
> > the headers.  I can set up my local sendmail to push psteitz@apache.org;
> > but that seems bogus to me.  Even when I send from minotaur, the headers
> > don't look right.  Can someone give me a clue?  What do other people do?
> > Is there a doc on this somewhere?
> >
> > Phil

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 7 Nov 2003, at 23:25, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Therefore, you have one other option involving SSH, but allowing you to
> use your local mail client.  Minotaur.apache.org is configured to allow
> SMTP relaying via the localhost interface.  So what you do is set up an
> SSH tunnel that connects your own localhost port X (X can be any value
> above 1024) to minotaur's localhost port 25; then in your mail client
> configuration, you set your SMTP server to be "localhost", port X.
> When
> you send a message, your mail client will connect to localhost:X,
> relayed
> over your SSH connection to localhost:25 on minotaur.  I do this,
> though
> not with apache.org's server.

Uh, didn't know that minotaur allowed that. You learn something new
every day ;-)

--
Stefano, who likes to have several options when email is concerned

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:52:29 -0800 (PST)
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 110:localhost:110 -L 25:localhost:25

Great! Works well. I do love it.

Really great!

Thank you, Brian.

P.S.

> certain IP addresses that could send mail that claimed to be From:  an
> @apache.org address, in an attempt to prevent forged spam.  But I'm sure
> the infrastructure team would make a lot of noise before doing that.

ROTFL! ;-)

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz a écrit :

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>
>>> Nice!  Finally got this to work. It took me a while to realize that you
>>> really did mean "localhost" on minotaur -- i.e., something like
>>>
>>> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 109:localhost:110 -L 24:localhost:25
>>

>> Sure.  Though you don't need to use different ports.  This would work
>> fine:
>>
>> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 110:localhost:110 -L 25:localhost:25
>

> Yes, I changed the ports to avoid conflict with sendmail running locally.

You could even use the ssh connection for your cvs access :)

ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 110:localhost:110 -L 25:localhost:25 -L
2401:localhost:2401

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>>Nice!  Finally got this to work. It took me a while to realize that you
>>really did mean "localhost" on minotaur -- i.e., something like
>>
>>ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 109:localhost:110 -L 24:localhost:25
>

> Sure.  Though you don't need to use different ports.  This would work
> fine:
>
> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 110:localhost:110 -L 25:localhost:25

Yes, I changed the ports to avoid conflict with sendmail running locally.

> Or if you're not able to bind to ports < 1024 because you're on a Unix box
> and not running as root,
>
> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 1110:localhost:110 -L 1025:localhost:25
>
> or something.
>

>>One more question: are there guidelines anywhere on when to use
>>@apache.com email addresses?
>

> Don't ever use @apache.com.  ;)

Ouch!  (yet another reason not to munge the headers...)

>>I have never used mine and would expect to use it only to subsribe to
>>lists such as this, which is in fact what led to this question. I am not
>>a PMC or ASF member, so I would never really be in a position to
>>officially represent apache.  Is there a policy on this?
>

> Not really, but it has generally appeared to be used rarely; only a few
> people I know use that as their primary email identity.  If you're
> speaking to others about something Apache-related from your @apache.org
> address, it might be a good idea to have a sig that mentions you're not
> speaking FOR the ASF, or something.

Thanks for the clarification.

>>I will submit a patch to newbie.faq summarizing responses to this
>>question and providing at least linux - mozilla instructions for setting
>>up tunnelling, as well as filling in the missing bit on how to set up
>>.forward. I assume from the discussion above, however, that tunnelling
>>is entirely optional.
>

> Thanks, that would be appreciated.  And yes, if you can successfully set
> an arbitrary From: header from your mailer, you don't need to tunnel.
> Though, this may change in the future: there is at least one proposal for
> an anti-spam technique that would allow us to state that there were only
> certain IP addresses that could send mail that claimed to be From:  an
> @apache.org address, in an attempt to prevent forged spam.  But I'm sure
> the infrastructure team would make a lot of noise before doing that.

Got it. Thanks again.  I will submit a patch this weekend at the latest.

Phil

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:52:29AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > certain IP addresses that could send mail that claimed to be From:  an
> > @apache.org address, in an attempt to prevent forged spam.  But I'm sure
> > the infrastructure team would make a lot of noise before doing that.
>
> As in noise against it.  ;-)
>
> Would this scheme allow DNS entries per LHS of the email address?  Then,
> there might be something to it - otherwise, feh.

No, it's DNS-based; like a "reverse MX" record.

> If I were to send a message from jerenkrantz@apache.org, it should only
> originate from one machine - the one this one comes from - or am I
> really Justin at all?  Muwhahaha.  But, to expect us to tunnel all
> @apache.org originating email only from minotaur (accessible via SSH
> port forwarding or local origination) isn't realistic, IMHO.  -- justin

Well, it works for CVS.

	Brian

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by André Malo <nd...@apache.org>.
* Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:

> Forget SSH. Use TLS and SMTP AUTH. Proven, tried and true 90ies
> technology that works like a charm. ;-)

Quite old, isn't it?

SCNR, nd

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>>If I were to send a message from jerenkrantz@apache.org, it should only
>>originate from one machine - the one this one comes from - or am I
>>really Justin at all?  Muwhahaha.  But, to expect us to tunnel all
>>@apache.org originating email only from minotaur (accessible via SSH
>>port forwarding or local origination) isn't realistic, IMHO.  -- justin
>

> Forget SSH. Use TLS and SMTP AUTH. Proven, tried and true 90ies
> technology that works like a charm. ;-)

big +1

...but AFAIU this is not yet in place for the ASF.
Or did I miss something?
--
Torsten

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.

Don't ever use @apache.com.  ;)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Joshua and Joerg said you can just send mail as whomever you like through
> your local SMTP relay; and while that's usually true, some conservative
> sysadmins will only allow relaying through of mail claiming to be from a
> particular sender domain; furthermore it's becoming more common for port
> 25 outgoing to be filtered when coming from "untrusted" networks.

Yes.  I prefer not to fake the headers, which is why I asked the question.

> Therefore, you have one other option involving SSH, but allowing you to
> use your local mail client.  Minotaur.apache.org is configured to allow
> SMTP relaying via the localhost interface.  So what you do is set up an
> SSH tunnel that connects your own localhost port X (X can be any value
> above 1024) to minotaur's localhost port 25; then in your mail client
> configuration, you set your SMTP server to be "localhost", port X.  When
> you send a message, your mail client will connect to localhost:X, relayed
> over your SSH connection to localhost:25 on minotaur.  I do this, though
> not with apache.org's server
>
> In a similar way, you can use the POP service that runs on minotaur's
> localhost interface.  Tunnel to localhost:110.

Nice!  Finally got this to work. It took me a while to realize that you
really did mean "localhost" on minotaur -- i.e., something like

ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 109:localhost:110 -L 24:localhost:25

Thanks.

One more question: are there guidelines anywhere on when to use
@apache.com email addresses?  I have never used mine and would expect to

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Brian's sketch below of how to tunnel to apache mail servers provides a
good opportunity to enquire if anyone knows of a 'server' I could slip
into inetd.conf which would dig such tunnels on demand?  Presumably it
would rendezvous somehow with my ssh-agent to get credentials.  As it
is I have a script I run that creates a dozen tunnels for various
services (smtp, ldap, http proxies, vnc, ssh, pptp, etc. etc) lurking
behind various firewalls inside various organizations; it's unreliable.
  - ben

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.

Posted by Joerg Pietschmann <pi...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
> stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
> my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
> using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
> connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP.

Just create another Mail account and claim "yourname@apache.org" as
email address. Use the usual outgoing mail server of your provider,
they don't care about the content of From: header. If you select
a mailbox in this new account, every reply and newly composed message
will appera to be sent from your apache account.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Mailing from apache email address

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
> stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
> my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
> using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
> connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP. From the headers on mails from
> this and other apache lists, it looks like some folks are just modifying
> the headers.  I can set up my local sendmail to push psteitz@apache.org;
> but that seems bogus to me.  Even when I send from minotaur, the headers
> don't look right.  Can someone give me a clue?  What do other people do?
> Is there a doc on this somewhere?

On the current internet, you should expect no mapping between login
account / smtp server and an actual email address.  (Although some of the
current anti-spam proposals want to reinstitute such a thing.)  In other
words, it is perfectly valid to just change your header and send through
your normal smtp server.

(Personally, I avoid using my @apache.org address unless I am speaking in
some way as a representitive of apache.)

Joshua.