Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/02/18 14:34:18 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Move Fauxton to its own mailing list?

Hey all,

I’m wondering how you would feel to give the Fauxton team their own mailing list for discussions and GitHub notifications?

In my view, the Fauxton project is generating enough traffic to warrant it’s own space :)

I’d propose fauxton-dev@couchdb.apache.org

Best
Jan

Posted by Johannes Jörg Schmidt <sc...@netzmerk.com>.

+1

On 14.04.2015 20:59, Robert Kowalski wrote:
> +1
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Kyle Snavely <kj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 to Jan's idea -- I love seeing all the dev discussion but my
>> inbox is exploding due to our wonderful fauxton work.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Garren Smith
>> <ga...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> +1, I think thats a great idea.

>>> bike shed) that gets all JIRA and GitHub traffic.

>>> (including Fauxton).

>> code@
>>> .

>>> but I’m willing to take that risk, as most people probably
>>> bulk-delete
>> all
>>> JIRA mails anyway :)

>>> further.
>>> complete

>>> But we

>>> topics in

>> own

>>> warrant

- --

Re: [DISCUSSION] Move Fauxton to its own mailing list?

Posted by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd>.
+1

Posted by Kyle Snavely <kj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1, I think thats a great idea.

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Paul J Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: [DISCUSSION] Move Fauxton to its own mailing list?

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Jan,

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [DISCUSSION] Move Fauxton to its own mailing list?

Posted by Johannes Jörg Schmidt <sc...@netzmerk.com>.
+1

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1 that is a good idea.

Posted by Lewis Cowper <le...@googlemail.com>.
I like this, I'm definitely keen to reduce the notification spam that comes
about, while remaining in the loop about decisions being made and so on.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

FYI: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9483

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
+1 then

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
I like notifications@ name as more clean one.
--
,,,^..^,,,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Here's my understanding:

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
K, thanks Jan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I also think we need to start thinking carefully about the overhead we're
adding with all these mailing lists.

I think it's good that we've been in an expansionist phase. But there are
several downsides:

- Splitting mailing list traffic splits discussion and splits the
community, in a very real sense. Conversations become balkanised. This can
be good, but it also has the potential to be bad. We need to keep both
aspects in mind.

- Mailing lists are already pretty weird, and many people don't like them.
In that sense, adding mailing lists increases the barrier to entry for
participation in our project. And that's a very important issue we need to
consider.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.