Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> on 2009/08/20 15:14:39 UTC

Re: Moving to Java 1.5, retroweaving for 1.4

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> There we go again. ;-) I can understand the wishes and cravings of the
> developers (feeling them myself), but as I've said before: such a
> decision should be made with the user community in the back, i.e. there
> should be another user survey to gather current data. Just because Sun
> EOLs a Java version doesn't mean that everyone can suddenly just do the
> switch. So why don't those who want this change so badly do that little
> survey so we have the data on an informed decision?

Hi All,

I'm not so against this idea 1 year further on but I still have concerns
that we would force x% of users to stay on 0.95 if we do this. I agree
with Jeremias' proposal to run a survey on fop-users for a couple of
weeks to get some hard facts to help make an informed decision.

Also, I think it is something that could wait until after the long
promised 1.0 release. With the changing IPD feature being one of the
last major features of 0.20.x missing from 0.9x that is now available we
should consider doing the v1.0 release and then if the survey shows the
number of 1.4 and earlier users to be very low then we should do the switch.

> As for retroweaving: I've just set the necessary values in my
> build-local.properties and tried to compile the latest FOP Trunk with
> Java 1.5. The build failed in the retroweaver task:

I would also like it if retroweaving worked if we do go ahead with the
switch to 1.5.

Thanks,

Chris