Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> on 2013/10/21 23:46:36 UTC

Suggested process for integrating l10n into the CouchDB source

Hi all,

I have written together a suggestion for integrating i10n into the CouchDB
source. Pleas take this as a draft. I have no deeper insights into the
organization of the build process of CouchDB yet so I expect that some of
my suggestions are not working. But I want to get things rollin' ;-)

prerequisites:

/ install sphinx-intl

1.) add the following to share/doc/src/conf.py

  locale_dirs = ["../locale/"]
  gettext_compact = False

2.) create the folder share/doc/locale

3.) create .pot files in share/doc/locale/pot

  cd share/doc/src
  sphinx-build -b gettext . ../locale/pot

4.) create language target folders in share/doc/locale

  sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot -l de -l fr

Now we have a lot of .po files. These files are needed for translation. As
we want to use the pootle service we need to transfer the .po files to
https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/. I am not sure how this has
to be done as I don't know the service there.

5.) when the .po files are translated, we put them back into the folder
locale and convert them into a binary format .mo

  sphinx-intl build

6.) the last step is to create the html files. I suggest to have them in a
language folder under share/www

  share/www <- en
  share/www/de
  share/www/fr

This is where share/doc/build/makefile.am has to be adjusted. It can be
done with this (from share/doc/src):

  sphinx-build -b html -d src/doctrees . ../www/en
  sphinx-build -b html -D language='de' -d src/doctrees . ../www/de
  sphinx-build -b html -D language='fr' -d src/doctrees . ../www/fr

Now we have made translated html files from one source. You can see a
little translation in share/doc/www/de/contributing.html (just to prove
that it works ;-) ).

7.) If we added new sources (.rst) to the documentation we create .pot
files with

  sphinx-build -b gettext . ../locale/pot

as seen in 1.). Then we have to update the .po files with this command:

  sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot

If we add a new language, we invoke:

  sphinx-intl update -p ../locale/pot -l 'es'

I have put the result into the branch l10n at git@github.com:
andywenk/couchdb.git

I would love to get your feedback, thoughts, ideas and finally somebody who
is doing the implementation or helping me to do it so that I can send a PR.

Cheers

Andy
--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: Suggested process for integrating l10n into the CouchDB source

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Note: if we can't bend RTD to our whim, we've been offered a Sphinx VM
on ASF hardware.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Suggested process for integrating l10n into the CouchDB source

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filippo Fadda <fi...@programmazione.it>.
On Nov 6, 2013, at 10:23 PM, Andy Wenk wrote:
> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest -> default English
> http://docs.de.couchdb.org/en/latest -> German
> http://docs.ru.couchdb.org/en/latest -> Russian

Honestly, terrible.

Is possible something like this? Not the best but a viable solution.

http://en.couchdb.org/docs/latest -> default English
http://de.couchdb.org/docs/latest -> German
http://ru.couchdb.org/docs/latest -> Russian

-Filippo

Re: Suggested process for integrating l10n into the CouchDB source

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
as discussed in the IRC meeting earlier today, I checked the RTD github
repo to get an idea of the I18n status in RTD. So Alex pointed to
https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/139 where the topic is
discussed. Unfortunately there is still no I18n integration but only a kind
of a workaround:

https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/blob/master/docs/faq.rst#how-do-i-support-multiple-languages-of-documentation

It would be a solution to have

http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest -> default English
http://docs.de.couchdb.org/en/latest -> German
http://docs.ru.couchdb.org/en/latest -> Russian

but to be honest, this looks broken and ugly ... . It was also discussed,
that it's not too hard to integrate I18n into RTD but I wonder why it did
not happen then?

Thoughts?

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.