Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au> on 2009/05/26 01:34:59 UTC

aiming for a beta

Now that M6 is out the door, I would like to raise the idea that the
next release is a beta and not another milestone.

What this means:

* after that release the API is locked down, and
* no new features are added

Why this might be good:

* it is an important step toward a final 3.0 release
* it tells the wider community they should start testing their apps
without fear of refactoring due to API changes
* it will flush out some stoic 2.0.4 users and get them thinking about
upgrading, and giving us bug reports

Given the previous release gaps, I'd expect a beta 1 release in about
October. If that is too soon, then we should have a M7 before that time.

I don't think we need a formal vote, and I've already named the next
Cayenne milestone 'beta 1' in Jira. Are there any objections to this
approach?

Ari Maniatis

-------------------------->
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: aiming for a beta

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a good idea.  I think we could expedite the beta
considerably as well.  I'm not abject to a 3.1 release coming out on
the heels of the 3.0 release.

--
Kevin