Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marc Sherman <ms...@projectile.ca> on 2005/07/14 14:01:03 UTC

Moving a large number of tags in one revision?

Our repository currently contains a large number of build tags in the
/tags directory.  These were automatically created by anthill, and
migrated into our new svn repository using cvs2svn.  When I reconfigured
anthill for the new svn server, I set it up to create new build tags
within /tags/builds, just to keep things organized.  Now, I'd like to
move the old tags from before that change into the builds subdir, too.

Is there any way to move a large number of tags in a single revision?
Here's a few ideas I had that didn't work:

1) wildcards don't work on urls:
svn mv http://server/repo/tags/v_* http://server/repo/tags/builds -m
"cleanup tags"

2) I tried checking out a non-recursive working copy of the tags dir,
and then within that a non-recursive working copy of each of the
individual tags using a script, and then using "svn mv v_1.0.0.1 builds"
within the working copy.  That gave me an error because as far as svn is
concerned, there's no connection between the tags WC and the individual
tag WCs within them.

3) Checking out a full WC of the tags dir is not possible, the tree
would just be too huge.

Any suggestions?  Or am I stuck with a script to move each tag one
revision at a time using individual URL-based svn mv commands?

Thanks,
- Marc

Re: Moving a large number of tags in one revision?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
>> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc.c
>>

> Thanks, Ben.  Is that compatible with svn 1.2.1?  The file doesn't
> exist in the 1.2.x branch.

That simply means it was committed to trunk sometime after the 1.2
release branch was born.  But APIs are APIs, it's not using any new
1.3 APIs.

Re: Moving a large number of tags in one revision?

Posted by Marc Sherman <ms...@projectile.ca>.

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Marc Sherman wrote:
>

>> Any suggestions?  Or am I stuck with a script to move each tag one
>> revision at a time using individual URL-based svn mv commands?
>
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/mucc.c

You could also try the rsvn python script:

https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/rsvn/trac.cgi/wiki

I had some problems with the version I downloaded (revision 18) but I
think I found the issue and added a modified version as an attachment to
the wiki front page. That modded version works very well for me.

Cheers,
Raman

Re: Moving a large number of tags in one revision?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.